Chapter Twenty

We sat in Aiden's car in the parking lot with the hospital looming over us. We'd been sitting here for a while as I tried to summon the courage to get out of the car and walk in there with Aiden on my side. I just couldn't do it. Aiden sat quietly beside me, giving me the time that I needed before we both walked in there.

I don't think that he understands how difficult this is for me. Because I know that when he sees me in the hospital like that, not only the way that he see me will change, the way he treats me will also change. I know that it will change him and I don't want that to happen. I can only imagine what this will feel like for me if our roles were reversed. Sure Aiden was a vampire, but vampires had feelings too. He loved, like we did, and he felt sad like we do. He had feelings. I just know that when the medicine kicks in, and I get sick, Aiden will get sad. But that was something that I couldn't change, because if it was me, I'd go in there with Aiden whether he wanted me to or not. And that was why I made the decision that I did.

"Are you ready?" I asked, turning to face Aiden while unbuckling my seatbelt.

He looked stunned for a minute before nodding and taking off his own seatbelt. "Yeah."

I stepped out of the car and wrapped my arms around me, immediately happy that I'd chosen to wear a sweater because the pre Christmas weather was kicking in, and it was beginning to get cold.

I was amazed at how fast these past months have flown by. It was Thanksgiving in a week, and after that, it was my birthday and then Christmas. It saddens me at the thought that I wouldn't be able to enjoy Christmas like I usually do because of the stem cell transplant a couple days before Christmas. The doctor had told me that it might be very painful a few days after and I wasn't anticipating that seeing as I wasn't a fan of pain. Also, who wants to be in pain while your family and everyone you love is excited and happy to be opening their presents. But, I was going to keep an open mind, because my Christmas miracle and hopefully present is for my cancer to be gone since I find out four days after.

"You cold?" Aiden asked, walking around to meet me at the front of the car and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"A little. The weather is changing fast. We might even have snow for Thanksgiving," I say looking up at him hopefully. This was always my favorite time of the year because I loved the snow.

"We might," he replied back with a smile and a kiss on the nose.

Upon entering the hospital my nerves returned, but instead of running like I wanted to, I gripped Aiden's hand that was wrapped around my waist tighter.

We walked over to the bank of elevators and rode up stopping at the eighth floor and walking over to the receptionists area so that I could sign in.

"Hi, I'm Sah'nai Huntley," I told the lady at the desk that I'd never seen before, who's name tag read Amanda. I was always used to Lacy, who'd been here ever since my first treatment.

"Hello, and you're in luck. We have one chair left. Let's go and get you situated," she says looking at me sympathetically, before standing up and pointing in the direction that I went to chemo in, Aiden and I following behind her.

As we entered I saw the room full of about fifteen people. Some old, some young, but I obviously was the youngest of them all. I walked over to the only available empty chair and sat down, Aiden sitting in the hospital seat next to me. This was a different room which held less chairs and gave us more privacy with more space between each other.

"The nurse will be in soon," Lacy said smiling at me, before glancing at Aiden and shutting the curtain and walking away.

"She thinks you're cute," I say giggling.