Chapter 11

Chapter status: edited

+

I woke up to my mom singing to Matthew. I recognized the quiet tune as it was a song she sang to me when I was little. She had an amazing and calming voice.

If you're feeling down or weak, you can always count on me

I will always pick you up

Nothings ever gonna change

Nothings getting in my way

I will always hold you up

I sang along to the song in my head. It brought back so many memories and I just love the song. I've considered having it played at mine and Michael's wedding. It's so beautiful and has so much meaning.

It's not where you come from

It's where you belong

Nothing I would trade

I wouldn't have it any other way

You're surrounded by love and you're wanted

So never feel alone

You are home with me, right where you belong

She ended the small portion of the song in tears. "That was beautiful, Mom". I tell her and she turns around, wiping her face, "I remember singing this to you when you were little. You always begged me to sing it and when you had Marley and I walked in and you were singing it to her, it made my heart feel complete. Now, I feel it's only fair to sing it to Matthew". I smiled and nodded, "Marley still asks me to sing it to her when I'm putting her to bed. It makes me feel complete, too." I stood up and hugged my mom. I really wish people would appreciate their parents more. Especially teens and older kids. My mom has been my number one support system ever since I got pregnant with Marley. My dad has been there, too just not as much as my mom. I don't know what I'd do without my mom. I know I have Michael, of course. But, my mom just keeps me going. Even though, I'm only a few months away from turning twenty-two, she still supports me through everything. I've got a part time job to bring in money for groceries and essentials and Michael obviously has enough money to bring in for bills. We've got it all under control and my mom is supportive because of that. "Thank you, mom. Thank you so much for having my back through everything. I can't ever repay you. I love you so much". She smiles, "You already have repaid me with two wonderful grandchildren. Always remember, Makenna, 'Maturity over Age'. My mom always told me that and I stuck to it. That's why I had you when I was eighteen. I believe you are so much more mature than what people expect a twenty-two year old to be. Having two kids five years apart, at twenty-two, is amazing. Keep it up, Kenna Grace. I believe in you". I'm crying by now and I hug her once again, tighter than the first time.

+

Michael and Marley showed up right as my mom was leaving. "It was nice seeing you", Michael said, hugging my mom. My mom offered to watch Marley so Michael and I could have some alone time. "Bye, Marley. Bye, mom. Thanks for watching her", I said after kissing them both on the cheek. They walked out, and Michael embraced me in a hug. "I'm so glad you're here. I've missed you so much. I can't wait to be home", I said, hugging Michael back. He kissed me softly, "I've missed you, too. It's so lonely at home. I know I've got Marley, but it isn't the same. It hurts a bit more without you. I've started realizing how hard it is to be a single parent and how horrible you must have felt when I wasn't here and I'm sorry for that. I'm so sorry I left you and cheated on you. I should have been there. I shouldn't have cheated. I'm so so sorry. I love you, so much, Makenna" Michael said. "Michael... I love you so much. I forgive you. Just, please don't leave me. I've always feared that it would happen again. I know that there will be a time that you have to leave for work, but that isn't for a while right?" I asked.