Ten

"It's not like we can't make that money back" I sigh.

"Ha!" he yells, as I pull my tie loose.

"Just because we have it doesn't mean you can go spending my money on stupidities like this!" he ruffles the papers again and throws them in my face.

"And what's this? These money transfers into unknown accounts!?" He looks over the wrinkled pages, and I feel a cold sweat coming on. Those were the payments I made to Charlie, Violet, and that idiot doorman of mine..

"Those.. well.. those are.." I stutter, his stare intensifying, then I get an idea.

"I didn't want to tell you yet but.." I play my theatrics just right, "Me and Bel.. we haven't been so good and well I.. sort of deposited some money into a private account just in case.." I lie, looking to the floor. What am I doing?..

"What?" his shoulders finally relax, but he pales even further.

"I've moved into an apartment by myself" I add, giving him the slightest hint at what is coming in the near future.

"You what?" his brogue is back, but it' due to a wave of panic.

"Bel and I threw the idea of a divorce out there" I sigh heavily, holding his stare to prove a point. He straightens up and runs his hands through his carefully gelled hair, "This can't be happening"

Well it is.. I think to myself.

"I really tried to make it work Da' but it's not fair to either of us to go on living a lie" I roll my neck to loosen some of the tension in my muscles, the leather of the chair squeaking beneath my grip.

"Who cares about that" my father finally sighs, "Do you know how a divorce in our family will reflect against our company?"

I nearly pulled a muscle while lifting my head to look at my father, I knew I was going to be met with some answer similar to that, but it still comes as a shock. How could he be so cold about it? So selfish...

Yet before I could let the anger get the better of me, Fran stepped into my office after having announced her entry with a knock.

"Sorry Mr. Horan - I um.." she stammers, her face flushed.

"Get on with it Francis" My father barks, making her even more jittery.

"Don't talk to my employees like that" I defend.

"Your employees, are my employees" he hisses, his eyes turned to slits.

We stand both glaring at one another before Fran clears her throat and continues to inform my dad about some man here for an interview. Now, normally I would ask a dozen questions, because I wasn't aware we we're hiring but; I am not in any mood to have a real conversation with my father right now.

"Send him in" My Father barks, and Fran retreats in a haste.

"What are you doing?" I question.

"Having a seat" he states the obvious, making himself comfortable at my desk.

"Your in my office" I grit.

"And you can have the day off" he smiles cynically.

I attempt to stand up fro myself but, "Before you try and stake a claim - may I remind you that above all else, I am your father and the owner of this company. And if I want you to take the day off then that's exactly what you'll do"

His eyes glow with a deep level of cynicism, leaving me at a loss for words. I snatch my briefcase from the chair in front of me and rush out of my office, slamming the door behind me. As I make my exit I find the man my fathers about to interview, standing at the counter, his back to me and his broad shoulders completely hiding Fran behind him.