Chapter 1

Los Lobos Locos were known as the wildest gang in town. Probably even the state if CJ were to take a guess. He smirked as he took in the sea of grey bandannas, white tanks, and khaki pants in front of him.

More like wild pups.

"Getting a tattoo don't make you a wolf," a short bald guy in the middle of the crowd yelled. They were in an abandoned warehouse that CJ now knew was their primary hangout. The smell of sweat and cigarettes filled the air as the crazy wolves formed a semi-circle around him, their eyes judging him as if he were fresh meat ready to be eaten.

CJ stifled a yawn and looked down at the wolf tattoo on his forearm. He felt a heavy arm cross over his shoulders. Johnny, a man he had befriended weeks ago whispered in his ear, "Don't let them rile you up CJ. They're just testing you.I told you, you'll do great with us."

CJ shrugged out of Johnny's embrace, "I didn't join you to be laughed at."

"Hey!" Johnny shouted to the crowd. "As the leader here, what I say goes. CJ is our newest member. Accept him!"

Jeers from the crowd boomeranged towards him but Johnny took a step forward, his massive chest pushed out as if daring someone to disagree with him, "You have something to say, step forward cabrónes."

"Hector's right. Getting a tattoo don't make you a wolf. Just 'cause he's your friend don't mean he gets to skip initiation," a dark man they called Chencho said loudly from the front of the crowd.

Johnny threw his head back and laughed, "Chencho, you getting brave all of a sudden? You think that's why he's joining? Don't let the light skin fool 'ya. This cabrón saved my life. When the Reds jumped me, he was the one that had my back."

Chencho's fists tightened, "Are you saying we don't have your back?"

"Not that day you didn't. So stop acting like a puto," Johnny walked up to Chencho, his chin jutting out. "As the leader I get to say who joins. Unless you think you can take me down. You want to be leader, Chencho? You think you can take me?"

A murmuring of whispers floated around them. No one had been able to beat Johnny in years. He was the most vicious wolf of the gang which is why the other members had been so surprised by his sudden desire to have a new member join. Especially a member with the name CJ.

"It's not that, Johnny," Chencho continued. "But CJ ain't even a wolf's name. He sounds like someone that went to private school or something."

"So are you challenging me?" Johnny asked again, ignoring Chencho's insult.

Chencho looked at his fellow members that weren't making eye contact with him. It was a sign that none of them would back him up if he did challenge Johnny. There was no way he'd beat him alone. He shook his head, "No, but I think we need to see how tough he is. He needs to go through initiation."

Johnny crossed his arms and sighed, "You all agree with this cabrón?"

"Sí!" Hector yelled.

"I don't mind doing an initiation," CJ stepped forward to stand a foot behind Johnny. "What is it?"

"You have to kill someone," Chencho sneered. "In cold blood."

"Is that all?" CJ asked, sounding bored.

"With witnesses," Chencho tossed in, his confidence growing as the crowd behind him agreed. "You think you can do that?"

"So it can be anyone? As long as I kill that person in front of witnesses?" CJ asked, pulling out a utility knife from his back pocket.

Chencho licked his lips as CJ stared at him, "Yeah. We need to know what you're made of. We don't want a Chihuahua joining the wolves, do we?"

"You think I'm a Chihuahua?" CJ tossed the knife from one hand to the other, "I assure you that I'm not."