Chapter 2

Dolores Greene was patting down her grey hair as she scrutinized Dani's outfit, "That's what you're wearing, honey?" They were in the kitchen of King's Diner, the smell of peanut-butter banana pancakes swirling around them. 

Dani looked down at her denim dress, "Is it not fancy enough?"

The look on the older waitress' face indicated it was not. 

"Didn't you at least want to put on some make-up?" Dolores asked, staring at the dark circles beneath Dani's eyes. 

Dani frowned. Her dark circles had earned her the nickname Panda Eyes from Jax. Dolores believed that Dani suffered from insomnia. Dani refused to admit that her lack of sleep was caused by her nightmares. Admitting to her nightmares would also mean having to explain that Dani had the unique ability to see a person's fears or nightmares after touching them. She didn't want Dolores to fear her or think she was strange. 

"I am wearing make-up," Dani insisted.

The back door to to the kitchen slammed shut and Dolores turned to see Donovan, one of cooks, enter. 

"Let's get a man's opinion shall we? A handsome man's opinion."

Dani rolled her eyes, "Dolores, Jax won't care what I'm wearing."

"All men care and if they don't, at least you should," Dolores whispered as she gave a fat smile to Donovan who was tying an apron around his waist. "Hi Sugar. You working the late shift tonight?"

Donovan nodded, his blue eyes twinkling, "I am. You two are looking lovely this evening. Am I guessing right to think Dani has a date?"

Dani felt her cheeks heat up. She didn't like him talking about her as if she weren't standing right next to him.

Donovan continued, "She looks great."

"She says thank you," Dani said dryly.

"He's just being sweet," Dolores chided her. "Donovan, don't you think that Dani should be dressed up a bit more for her date with Jax?"

Donovan walked around Dani, inspecting her, "It depends...what are you two going to do?"

"I don't know. He wouldn't tell me," Dani admitted.

"Then I think you're dressed fine. If he takes you to some swanky place, it's his fault if you're not dressed up enough. If he takes you to laser tag or something...dump him. Otherwise, you look great," Donovan turned his back to her to face the stack of pans on the counter.

"Thanks Donovan."

"No problem," he said, still not looking at her. "That Jax guy is real lucky, Dani. I'm sure he'll be happy to see you in anything...even a paper bag. I know I would. "

"You're melting this old heart of mine," Dolores cried.

"Did Dolores just admit she was old?" Oliver Lee, the owner of King's Diner, joked as he came into the kitchen. He looked at Dani and sighed, "Are you serious about this detective?"

"What's with all the questions? You all are acting as though this is a stranger. It's just Jax!"

"I can talk to him if you want. Man to man. Find out what his intentions are," Oliver offered.

Dolores rolled her eyes, "She's already wearing his ring. I think it's a bit too late for that Oliver-doll."

"Well...if you need me, I'm here for you," Oliver said softly, causing Dani to feel something warm in her belly. Dani hugged Oliver and then Dolores.

"You two are like family to me. You know that right?"

"What about me?" Donovan asked.

"You can be the adopted brother I didn't want," Dani joked.