The Final Chapter

The sound of the heart monitor faded in the distance along with the panicked voices of the medical team working to revive her. Dani's pupils adjusted to the blinding light as she took a tentative step forward.

"Is this...Heaven?" Dani asked in awe.

"No, it's not," a female voice answered.

Dani turned to see what she could only describe as an angel. Her eyes widened as she took in the familiar blonde hair and tranquil expression.

"Vivian?"

The woman gave a small smile, "I see you know who I am."

"Of course I know. You're Vivian. The woman Jax loved enough to want to marry. How could I not recognize you? If this isn't Heaven, where are we?"

"It's like a limbo of sorts," Vivian tried to explain. "I cross between reality and fantasy."

"Like Purgatory?"

Vivian's smile grew, "No. This is more of a dream-like place."

"Dreams?" Dani took a step back, "Is this a nightmare?"

Vivian's lips turned upward, "It's no wonder he's been spying on you. You seem so naïve."

Dani frowned, "What are you talking about? Do you mean Carter?"

Vivian sighed and looked away, refraining from answering Dani's question. Instead she glanced at Death, "Calvin's a strange character, isn't he?"

"Why are you asking me about Calvin when I want to talk about Carter?"

"He's come here several times trying to coax me into helping him. I admit I was slightly touched to know that he was so concerned. Maybe it's because he's your brother, but he has a soft spot for you. I have a feeling that most men do after meeting you."

Dani shook her head in confusion, "I'm not sure what you mean."

"You have a light around you. You can't see it, but surely the people around you can feel it. It's very warm...comforting even. I'm glad Jax gets to experience that warmth."

"Vivian-"

"Maybe it's because of your gift that you have the light. In any event, don't be so cruel when it comes to Calvin. I know he came here because he was looking for you. He was hunting you down by trying to figure out where your dreams were. Imagine his shock when Death made an appearance."

"Why are you telling me this?" Dani asked.

Vivian shrugged, "I just thought you should know. It can be lonely, can't it? Having a gift no one else has? Having secrets? It's another reason you shouldn't be too hard on your mother. She can help you if you let her."

"You're bringing up my mother now?"

"Forgiveness is hard to give and sometimes even harder to receive. I know that."

"What do you mean?"

Vivian gave a sad smile, "I've always wondered why Carter became so twisted. I thought and thought about it."

"Because he's a psychopath?" Dani suggested.

"Possibly, but I think he's living up to the idea of what Jax must think of him. Perhaps he doesn't want his brother's forgiveness. Maybe it's easier to just keep living the way his brother thinks of him."

"Do you feel bad for him? The man that killed you?" Dani asked, aghast.

"I'm not exactly innocent in all this. Although I won't admit my role, I'm party responsible for what happened the night I died. Carter wasn't always the way he is now. To say he killed me is wrong. It was more like a double homicide that night."