Chapter 6

Growing up, Dani never imagined herself as Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman or any film where the underdog woman got the man. She never dared to dream that she could meet someone that would accept her despite her nightmares. When she arrived to Jax's house, she was beyond surprised. She expected an easy night of Netflix, but instead she was smack dab in the middle of her very own romance movie.

"Uhmm...Jax? What is all this?" she asked, waving a hand at the candlelit picnic he had set up in his living room.

Jax scratched the back of his head with one hand, looking chagrined, "Well, our first date was kind of ruined...so I thought maybe I should make it up to you. Consider it our first date...part two. I hope you don't mind."

"I...of course I don't mind," Dani whispered as she took in the red roses that were still in their clear wrapping, laid out for her perusal. A wicker picnic basket was opened with a bottle of wine chilling next to it. A blue cashmere blanket was laid out with matching silk pillows. "This is really fancy."

Jax laughed nervously, "Is it too much?"

Dani giggled, "Is Jax Michaels blushing?"

He looked away, "I don't blush."

"Yes you do. That's so cute."

"Panda Eyes...come here," he gently grabbed her arms and pulled her forward until she was close enough to rest her hands on his chest. "Do you like it?"

"The picnic or your chest?"

Jax grinned, "I already know you like my chest."

"Narcissist," Dani laughed.

"No seriously, is it too cheesy?"

"No, it's not cheesy. Well...maybe a little cheesy but I like cheesy. It's all romantical and stuff," Dani smiled.

"Romantical? Are we making up words, Panda Eyes?"

"Don't be a Jax Ass and ruin the moment."

"Well, I'm glad you worked the day shift so you can have the night off. You're spending the night, right?" Jax asked, kissing her temple.

Dani stilled and looked away, "So what's for dinner?"

Jax didn't miss her obvious change of subject, "I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches."

"Don't lie. What's for dinner?" Dani asked, as she sat in front of the picnic basket and began pulling out the contents. There was chicken, potato salad, and other dishes that Jax had clearly picked up from a restaurant. "You didn't make these from scratch? I'm taking off points Apple Jax."

She was joking but Jax crossed his arms, "I'm good at other things besides cooking if you'd just let me show you."

Dani removed the lid from the potato salad, "Yum, this looks delicious. You know the new guy at work can make a mean potato salad."

"New guy?"

"Yeah," Dani nodded, scooping a dollop of the yellowish substance onto his plate. "His name is Donovan. He wants to be a French cook but he's still putting himself through school so Oliver's letting his work at the diner."

"Are you comparing me to a cook at the diner?"

Dani laughed, "No. I'm just saying that he knows how to cook."

"I can cook some things," Jax muttered. "Ask Roberto, I can make fish sticks."

"Forget it, Jax," Dani laughed. "I'm sorry I brought it up. Besides, Dolores wants a crack at him."

"Dolores wants a crack at everyone. I saw her pinching a customer's butt once," Jax admitted.

"What? You're lying!"