Chapter 12

Gina Goldfisck hated working early in the morning. Unfortunately, she had to finish a report on a gang-related vandalism case that she had pushed back. She found herself meandering towards the gangs division to ask one of the other officers to help her identify some gang symbols. Everyone was busy on the phone or on their computers. She was about to flag down one of the detectives when she overheard an interesting bit of information.

She had been standing close to two detectives that were discussing a case as they poured themselves some coffee.

"So they think Los Lobos Locos had something to do with it?" one of the detectives asked. He had red hair and was fairly new to the gang division.

Another detective wearing a purple tie nodded, "Yup. Let me tell you something, Bart. Marriages don't always last when you work in homicide. Montoya just can't accept the truth. His wife left him for another man. It happens. Especially when you're practically married to the job like most homicide detectives are."

Bart nodded, "Poor guy. I heard he asked us to help him find out if they had his wife hostage. Neil, we should be able to help him."

Neil, the other detective, shrugged, "To be honest, we haven't gotten a report that they've kidnapped a woman. Even if we did, we still wouldn't help."

"Why not?"

"It would jeopardize the safety of our man undercover."

"There seems to be more trouble with Los Lobos Locos these days," Bart frowned.

"Yup. There's that stunt at the restaurant the other day. Then Montoya comes in and now we got a report that those crazy wolves are starting to target people unrelated to their drug ring. Supposedly it has to do with their new leader."

"We should have enough to go in and bust him for murder," Bart muttered.

"No. It's too early and we'll never know who else is involved in the drug ring if we go in too soon. It's why we can't help Montoya. Our man has been undercover too long to blow his cover."

"So why do you think he's going after this woman named Dolores Greene?" Bart asked.

Neil took a sip of his coffee and stared at the black brew for a moment, "Who knows? I heard she's a waitress. Maybe she served him a bad cup of joe."

Gina Goldfisck slowly turned around and headed towards homicide. She noticed that both Roberto and Jax were missing. She was about to leave when Roberto Montoya came stomping in like the Tasmanian Devil, snarling and cursing at everyone. A younger man trailed behind him like a dark cloud.

Gina and Roberto's eyes met.

"What the hell do you want?" Roberto spat.

For once, Gina didn't know what to say. Normally, she would give him some feisty reply but not today. Not when she knew that his wife was missing. He must be devastated.

Gina shook her head and walked past him when the younger man grabbed her shoulder and said, "Don't mind him. He's just upset today."

Gina nodded, "It's okay. I know. I just came from the gang division and overheard them talking about his wife."

The younger man grimaced, "She's also my sister. They didn't want to help us. I've spent my whole adult life fighting the bad guys and this is how I get repaid. Same thing with Montoya."

"I'm really sorry. If it makes any difference, they didn't know anything about her."

"They're too busy caring about drug deals than lives. Even the detectives I work with are the same. They won't help because of an ongoing investigation or some crap like that."