Chapter 20

"We don't have many options here," Chencho was staring out the window, the two-story drop too dangerous to take. "The building next door is too far away to make a jump for it."

"So what are we going to do?" Gladys wiped away at the sweat trickling down her forehead. She was taking deep breaths as she walked in a large circle around the room they were trapped in.

"The only thing we can do," Chencho made his way to the door and placed his hands against the doorknob. His hand flew back as he sucked in air.

"It's hot isn't it? We aren't going to make it out alive, are we?"

He could hear the panic in her voice and frowned, "We're going to take the stairs. It's our only chance."

Gladys bit her lip and again looked out the window. It was too high for them to risk the fall. She placed both of her hands on her stomach and nodded.

"Hold on to my hand. We're going to have to run," Chencho reached out his hand and waited for Gladys to take it. He could see her hesitation. "I know I don't seem like it, but I'm a good guy. I'll protect you. I promise."

Gladys slowly placed her hand in his. His palm squeezed against her hand before he kicked open the door. A surge of heat blasted forth and they both turned their heads away.

"Let's go!" Chencho roared as he saw the fire greedily claiming its stake in the warehouse. The fire lapped at the walls, eating away at everything in its sight.

"I can't do this!" Gladys screamed.

"Yes you can! I'm here with you!" Chencho pulled on her hand as he jumped forward, trying to avoid the fire's deadly touch.

The heat was consuming and Gladys struggled to breath. A strangled yelp escaped her lips as she dodged some falling debris.

"The fire is spreading fast! We need to hurry!" Chencho quickened their pace and Gladys stumbled a bit.

"We're almost out!" Chencho cried.

Gladys felt her weight give in as the steps beneath her gave away. Her scream burned her throat and Chencho quickly grabbed onto her wrist with both hands. The fire was too close and she could feel herself falling to the ground below them. Chencho jumped down with her and they fell together. He cushioned her fall and moaned when his head hit the hard floor beneath them.

Gladys wanted to ask how he was but she could only cough. It was too hard to see what was around them. Black clouds of smoke swallowed them. She saw Chencho struggle to get up, his body not moving as fast as he wanted it to. He helped her up without saying a word, coughing as he looked around for an exit.

More debris was falling and he could hear the sounds of a fire truck in the distance. He let go of Gladys and covered his mouth and nose with one hand while encouraging her to do the same. They took a few steps forward and jumped back when a beam from above crashed a few feet ahead of them.

Gladys pointed towards two double doors that had to be the exit and they took two more steps forward when a loud creak caused them to look up. Another beam was coming towards them.

-------
There were already rubberneckers at the warehouse, watching the building burn.

"Did you call 911?" Jax asked a teen as he exited his car.

The teen shrugged and Jax grabbed his shirt, "Call 911. Now!"

"The man over there already did," the teen said, pointing to a man who had a phone up to his ear.

"Has anyone exited that building?" Jax asked.

"How should I know?" the teen asked. "I didn't see anyone and if someone's in there...they're probably burnt to a crisp by now."