Chapter 16

"Dani, I made a mistake."

Jax was staring at her feet, his hands in his pockets.

"A mistake? What do you mean? What was a mistake?" she could hear her own voice quivering as she stared at the man that had been by her side the past few months.

"I thought that I was over her but I'm not. Vivian...she still has a place in my heart and no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to shake it away. It makes me feel guilty. Guilty that I can't love you as much as you deserve. This," his hand moved back and forth in the space between them, "This was a mistake. I don't think we should see each other anymore. Not ever."

Her mouth became dry as she sputtered for the right words. What could she possibly say to change his mind? Her eyes widened as she watched him turn away from her.

Any minute he would turn around and shout, "Just kidding, Panda Eyes!"

Dani watched him open the door to her apartment and leave. His exit punctuated with the small click of the door closing shut.

A few shuddering breaths escaped her as she tried to process what just happened.

Jax was dumping her.

Dani raced to the hall outside her apartment but he was gone. Jax was gone. He had left her without a second glance. Her shoulders slumped and she turned back around.

"Dani," a voice whispered behind her.

"Jax?" Dani spun around and shrieked.

At the end of the corridor was death.

"No!" Dani cried as she sat up in bed. Jax's arm was wrapped around her waist.

"Dani? Are you okay?" he mumbled against the pillow his face was buried in.

"I'm...I'm fine. It was just a nightmare."

Jax sat up, a lazy smile on his face, "You know I'm here for you right, Panda Eyes? You want to talk about it?"

"I was there," she whispered. "And you were there too."

"So it wasn't a nightmare but a sex dream. Dani Deleon you're a dirty bird, you know that? I like it," he chuckled as he kissed her bare shoulder.

Dani lightly pushed him away, "I'm serious. It was so weird. I don't think it was your dream though."

"Do you think someone was dreaming about us? That's kind of creepy. Did it have to do with Los Lobos Locos?"

"No, it was just you and me. You were angry and you said you never wanted to see me again. You left me."

"Dani, I would never-"

"I know...but that's when I realized something. I'm always seeing other people's nightmares. But for the first time, I think I saw my own. Don't you see? You leaving me. That's my worst nightmare, Jax."

She felt Jax pull her down beside him. She could feel his heart beating in tandem to her own. 

"Dani, let's get this straight. I would never leave you. If I could, I'd handcuff myself to you for life but I don't think you'd like that and it might make going to the bathroom awkward."

"Jax-"

"But I was serious about what I said last night. I'd never leave you Dani. I love you. It would take death for me to leave you. You know that, right?"

Heat spread through her belly to her heart, "How do you always know the right words to say, Detective Michaels?"

"Easy. It's called telling the truth."