Chapter 17

"You idiot! What are you doing?"

"Stopping you from getting yourself killed," Tristan answered as he shoved a sock in his brother-in-law's mouth. "I did you the favor of calling your partner to talk some sense into you."

"Roberto!" Jax called out from outside Roberto's home.

"Speak of the devil," Tristan muttered before pointing a finger at a tied up and gagged Roberto, "Stay."

He laughed when Roberto twisted against the ropes that were holding him in place before opening the door to Jax.

"Is he alright?" Jax asked. He heard Roberto grunting and pushed past Tristan, "Was this really necessary?"

"He wouldn't listen and he was bound to get caught going in and out of those buildings. That's gang territory! We'll never get Gladys back if he gets himself killed."

Jax rubbed his eyes, trying to concentrate, "I left my girl for this? Fine, let's deal with the issue at hand. I know you were trying to help but tying up my partner wasn't very wise."

"It looks pretty wise to me," Tristan snorted.

Jax removed the gag, "Because knowing my partner, he's probably going to kick your ass once I let him go."

"You got that right," Roberto roared.

"You two can't just do whatev-"

"What is it?" Tristan asked as Jax had stopped talking to answer his phone. His face had gone pale and he mouth was slightly open.

"What happened?" Roberto asked. "Is it about Gladys?"

Jax shook his head, "I'll be right back."

"Don't tell me it's about your girlfriend again?" Tristan's voice echoed behind him.

Jax ignored him and stepped outside. Once he was alone, he continued.

"What do you want Carter?"

"Is that any way to greet your brother? The brother that you haven't seen in years?"

"If you're after a family reunion, tell me where you're at so I can throw your ass in prison. I promise to visit."

Carter laughed, "You always did have a weird sense of humor."

"You killed Vivian."

"I killed Vivian? Do you have any proof?" Carter asked, mirth coating his words. "As someone who went to law school and then became a detective, I'd think you'd know that's the first thing you'd need."

"I'll find some."

"You'd try and put your brother away for some woman? I always thought blood was thicker than water."

"What you have running through you has nothing to do with me," Jax spat. "Where are you?"

Silence greeted Jax. For a moment he thought his brother had disconnected the call. He repeated himself, "Where are you?"

"I heard you the first time brother dear. I'm just trying to decide if I should give you a hint. Remember when we were young? We used to play cops and robbers? Look at us now. Cops and killers. It's sort of sentimental, isn't it?"

"You're sick. Where are you?"

"Fine, I'll give you a hint. It's more fun if I do."

"Carter-"

"I'm closer than you think. How's your partner holding up?"

"What?"

"Roberto. Detective Roberto Montoya. How's he doing? Now that his wife is missing, he must be devastated."