Chapter 14

They were only drinking coffee. Dani knew Roberto was still upset since he growled a no at the waitress when she asked if he wanted some peanut butter banana pancakes.

"As far as they know, my sister wasn't taken by Los Lobos Locos," Tristan said.

"They have to have her," Roberto gripped his hot mug of coffee. "It doesn't make sense otherwise."

"What if...what if it's not the whole gang but just one of them?" Dani suggested.

"You mean one of them acting alone?" Jax asked.

"Like a lone wolf?" Roberto let the idea roll around in his head. "That would make sense. If one of them wasn't acting under the orders of the leader, then why would the undercover cop know about it?"

"He wouldn't," Tristan agreed.

"So the question now is how do we find out if we're right," Jax tapped his fingers against his coffee mug.

"I think, we should probably discuss this without your girlfriend being present," Tristan nodded his head towards Dani.

"Me?" Dani pointed a finger at herself.

"Well Roberto and I aren't dating him," Tristan answered.

"We can trust Dani," Jax's voice was steady almost daring Tristan to argue with him.

"No, I think he's right," Dani stood up. "The less I know the better. Jax, I'm going to find Oliver."

"Remember what I told you Dani," Jax whispered before kissing her cheek. "Be careful."

"I will. I promise Apple Jax."

After Dani had walked to the back of the diner, Tristan raised an eyebrow, "Apple Jax?"

"Let's just talk about the case," Jax muttered.

---------------

While Jax and his fellow detectives were discussing their plans, Dani walked to Oliver's office. His door was slightly ajar and she could hear him talking heatedly over his office phone.

"No, I don't care! I won't let you do anything to her. You've hurt her long enough Helen and I can't help you anymore. I won't. I don't care about what you think is going to happen. She's doing fine without you and your new family!"

He slammed the receiver down before allowing his head to rest in his palms.

"Oliver?" Dani pushed the door open, frowning.

"Dani! What are you doing here?"

His eyes were looking wildly around and his cheeks were flushed.

"Who were you talking to on the phone?"

"The phone? What phone?"

Dani pointed to the black phone on his desk, "That phone. Oliver what's going on?"

"Did you hear me on the phone?" the older man asked, refusing to make eye contact with her.

"Oliver, you said Helen."

"No, I didn't."

Dani watched as a cold sweat broke on the older man's forehead. 

"I know this is going to sound crazy, but that was my mother's name," Dani admitted.

"Really?" Oliver fiddled with the papers on his desk.

"Oliver? Were you on the phone with my mother?"