Chapter 27

Dani stood outside the hospital, her phone in her hand, "This isn't a prank call! I'm telling you my friend was kidnapped!"

"Ma'am, you're telling me you were on a bus and just so happened to see your friend get abducted by two other men?" the officer on the other line asked.

"Yes, that's what I'm saying! I gave you the description of the car and the license plate number."

"I checked the plate number but it doesn't exist. I'll tell you what, I'll have the officers that were called out the first time you called check it out."

After finally disconnecting her call, Dani's legs shook as she made her way into the hospital. Tristan had told her the floor and room so she went directly there, signing in at the nurse's station.

"I told you, I don't want anyone to know the bomb was planted by us. Especially not Dani," Jax's voice could be heard through the door of his hospital room. "Hopefully Gina doesn't say anything. She practically ran out of here."

Dani looked around to make sure no one else could overhear him.

"Dani's your girlfriend. You don't want her to come to the hospital and you don't want to tell her you're okay. Do you know how angry she's going to be?" Roberto questioned his partner.

Dani stilled.

Jax had planted the bomb?

"I told you, I need to lure Carter in. If he thinks I'm in a weakened state, surely he'll come to taunt me."

"Or kill you," Roberto said.

"As long as Dani isn't involved, I'm okay with that."

"You're okay with that?" Dani asked, pushing the door to Jax's hospital room fully open. "You're okay with dying?"

"Dani!" Jax looked over at Roberto whose mouth had fallen open.

"How did you-"

"You lied to me...again," Dani's eyes were full of censure.

"Dani-"

"No, don't bother, Jax. Do you know what I went through to get here? Do you know how many people were hurt so that I can see you?"

"Dani-"

"Why do you keep disappointing me?" Dani wiped away the lone tear that made its way down her cheek.

"I just want you to be safe," Jax explained. "I know you wanted to help me with Carter but I can't risk you getting hurt."

"But it's okay for you to get hurt?"

"Dani, try to understand," Jax pleaded.

"He's right," Roberto interrupted. "Take it from me. My wife has been hurt because of all of this. The only thing that's keeping me going is the knowledge that we're going to catch the man responsible."

"So revenge is more important?" Dani gave a sad smile. "You're here plotting away with Jax while your wife is suffering alone in a hospital room."

"She's not alone. Her brother Tristan is with her," Roberto said. "Besides, this isn't revenge. It's justice."

"Dani," Jax tried to get out of his hospital bed but groaned from the pain of it, "Try to understand that I just don't want you to get hurt."

"I do understand, Jax. I completely understand that you don't want me to get hurt. What I don't understand is how you can possibly think that I won't be hurt if you're killed. I also don't understand how you can promise to be honest with me one moment and then lie to me the next."