Chapter 3

Dani was scanning her mail as she walked down the corridor that led to her apartment. She didn't notice the man carrying two large boxes as he struggled to unlock the door across from her apartment until she bumped into him.

"Oh I'm so sorry!" Dani made a grab for the boxes as he tried settling his grip on them. He accidentally placed his hands over hers and she gasped at the skin-to-skin contact.

Dani tried moving his hands at the same time he did, causing them both to drop the carbboard boxes. Dani stared into the green eyes of the man in front of her and took a step back. He was wearing brown glasses that matched his dull brown hair. He pushed up his glasses, and looked away, "I...I'm s-sorry. I d-didn't wa-watch where I was g-going."

Dani felt her lips move upward in a smile as she shook her head, "No. It was me. You were unlocking your door when I ran into you."

"R-Right...but I'm st-still s-sor-sorry."

"Are you just moving in?" Dani asked, as he picked up his boxes.

He nodded.

"I'm Dani by the way. I live right across the hall."

He slightly moved his head towards her door and gave a single nod, "I-I'm Ca-Calvin."

"Okay...well if you ever need anything like a cup of flour or something let me know. I'm not sure if I ever buy flour but you know what I mean, right?"

Instead of responding, he unlocked his door, pushing the boxes against the door as he hurried in.

"Nice to meet you too," Dani muttered sarcastically as she entered her apartment. She thought of her new neighbor and frowned. Maybe it was the glasses but for some reason he reminded her of the previous tenant. His life had been taken far too early.

"Billy..."

Her phone made a dinging sound and she checked the text message. It was from Jax.

"You. Me. Tonight. Netflix Marathon?"

Dani grinned before responding, "What? No big pickles?"

"Only if you want one. Wait...what kind of pickle did you mean? Dani are you still having dirty thoughts?"

"Stop being a pervert. I'll see you tonight."

"See you later Panda Eyes."

"Sure thing Apple Jax."

Outside her apartment and across the hall, Calvin opened his door and looked up and down the hall. He noticed some letters outside his door. They belonged to the woman who had introduced herself as Dani. She must've forgotten them or not realized she had dropped them. He picked them up and a corner of his mouth lifted into a smirk before he re-entered his apartment.

----------------------

He was hidden in darkness which was his favorite place to be. The parking lot of King High School was unlit and thanks to low funding, the school didn't have a security system in place. His hands tightened around the worn steering wheel of the van he had stolen an hour earlier. He repeated the mantra he had been telling himself every evening for the past four days, "Good things come to those that wait. Bad things go to those I hate."

Stalking someone was his specialty. If it had been an art, he'd be a Picasso. He licked his lips in anticipation as he glanced at the school marquee which announced the upcoming school play.

Little Red Riding Hood.

Rehearsals had ended over an hour ago, leaving the parking lot empty with the exception of his van and one other car.

The theater teacher's car.

A hum of excitement purred through him as he checked the time on the dashboard of the van. He watched the side double doors of the school and began to count, "Five. Four. Three. Two."

The double doors opened and a petite brunette exited, her hands full with costumes and props.

"One," he sang as he flipped on his headlights and pressed on the gas, steering straight towards her.

She heard the car screeching towards her before she saw it. She screamed. Costumes and props forgotten, she tossed them to the ground as she ran to her car, her high heels pounding against the pavement. She lost her footing and tripped, scraping her bare knees. The oncoming headlights blinded her as she lifted an arm in a weak attempt to soften the blow that would surely kill her.

The van came to a halt one foot in front of her. She whimpered as she heard the car door squeak open and heavy footsteps scrape against the pavement. She sensed his presence as he squatted down next to her.

"Why are you doing this?" she asked, her voice cracking.

"This wouldn't be fun if I answered that, would it?"

She couldn't bring herself to make eye contact with him. She felt his hands in her hair and her eyes stung as he pulled on it, "Let's get in the van."

"Why are you doing this? Who are you?" she forced herself to ask as tears started to stream down her face.

He pulled her close and brought his lips close to her ear, "Who am I? I'm the big bad wolf. Can't you tell?"

He pulled a grey bandanna from his back pocket and forced it against her mouth and nose.

Chloroform.

Before she left consciousness, she stared at the tattoo on his forearm. It was a grey wolf with bright golden eyes that laughed at her.