Chapter 29

Dani frowned as she saw the unfamiliar number on her cell phone. She picked it up and was told that she needed to head to the police station to have her identify the men that attacked Donovan. Donovan still hadn't been found. Dani agreed to meet the officer. Before leaving, she knocked on Calvin's door.

"I'm going to the police station. My friend was attacked and the police need my help."

"Let me go with you," Calvin insisted.

"No thanks. I just wanted to let you know in case you or Oliver started worrying again."

"I'll let Oliver know. We talked and he's really worried about you."

"You talked about me? You two just met," Dani said.

"I know but I'm your brother and Helen's son. Don't you know the history between those two?"

Dani shook her head, "Not really. Oliver kept mum about her."

"I could be wrong but I get the feeling he's been in love with her for years."

"You're joking."

"Nope," Calvin shook his head. "Mom said they were best friends."

"That's so strange to hear or even think about," Dani admitted. 

"So you're headed to the police station. Do you need a ride?"

"No, I can take the bus."

Calvin shook his head, "Nope, I'm your brother, you're coming with me. Let me just grab something from inside real quick." 

Dani nodded and turned away from his door as she waited. Before she knew what was happening, she felt a damp cloth across her face. She couldn't breathe and everything became dark.

-----------------

"What did you say?" Jax asked his mother for the third time. "Who's coming for dinner?"

"I told you already. Your brother Carter. I sent him out to get some wine but he should be home soon. He was so disappointed that you were in the hospital. He insisted on visiting you, but I told him how you forbade any of us to go to the hospital tonight."

"Mother-"

"Now, don't even think about leaving the hospital," his mother warned him. "You need to make sure you're doing okay above all else. I'll try and convince your brother to stay until you're released from the hospital. Oh Jax, are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine mother. They're just holding me for observation."

Mrs. Michaels made a disbelieving snort on the other end of the call.

"Mother, why did Carter suddenly show up?" Jax asked.

"What do you mean why? He missed us, so of course he'd finally come back home."

"He hasn't missed enough to visit in years. Is something wrong?"

"You're in the hospital, Jax. You need to worry about getting better, not how your baby brother is doing. Listen, I have to go. Your brother was so excited about some woman he just met. He said he had his eye on her for a while. After he picked up the wine, he was going to try and invite her to come to dinner as well. Can you believe it? All this time, Carter has been secretly dating a woman in town. Maybe that's why he suddenly came to visit?"

"What?"

"Don't get so excited, Jax. Maybe you should try online dating too. You never know, you might meet Mrs. Right."

Jax's heart was pounding in his chest. Sweat beaded on his forehead, "Did he say what his girlfriend's name was?"

"No. He said I'd meet her when she comes over tonight. Listen hon, I've got to go. I'll call you later, okay? I love you."

The call was disconnected and Jax cursed.

"What's wrong?" Roberto asked.

"My brother is at home. He's having dinner with my parents and supposedly he's bringing his girlfriend."

"What?"

Jax shoved his blankets away and groaned as he tried getting out of the hospital bed, "I've got to get over there."

"And do what? You need a plan," Roberto stopped him.

"The plan was for him to come after me in the hospital but that's gone to hell in a hand basket. I need to call Dani," Jax tried calling her but it went to voice mail.

"You said he's going with his girlfriend," Roberto said softly.

"Yeah. So?"

"You don't think he meant Dani, do you?"

The fear in Jax's eyes confirmed that he did.

"Jax...why would you think that?"

"Why? Because he killed the first woman I loved! Because he tried killing Gladys! Why wouldn't he go after Dani? Dammit, why isn't she picking up?"

"What if you and I have this all wrong?"

"What are you talking about?" Jax asked as he continued dialing Dani's number.

"While you were talking to your mom, I got a text from one of the guys at the station that Dani had made a 911 call. I didn't get all the details, but didn't Dolores get put in protective custody because Los Lobos Locos put a hit on her?"

"Yeah so?"

"Jax, all this time we've been thinking it's been Carter behind everything. What if we're wrong? What if Dani is the real target and we've been playing right into their hands?"

"You think someone other than Carter is targeting Dani right now? I hope not partner, we have too much on our plates right now with Carter."

"Someone related to Los Lobos Locos may be gunning for her. Or everyone around her. I'll make some calls and get some officers to keep an eye on her. You have to stay here in the meantime. Catching Carter should still be our priority."

"Roberto, if Dani's in danger, I'm not staying here," Jax had his fists on his hips.

"Dammit, this isn't just about you!" Roberto hissed. "My wife is in a coma right now because of your family! You think I like this?"

Jax cursed, "I'm sorry Roberto...but I can't risk Dani's safety. If Carter isn't coming here, then I need to come after him."

"That's not the plan!"

"Screw the plan!"

A knock on the door caused both men to turn towards Tristan who was standing in the doorway, "I hate to break up this lover's spat, but do you think you could tear yourself away from your partner long enough to see your wife?"

Roberto's eyes widened, "Is Gladys okay?"

"My sister's fine, but maybe hearing your voice might help her wake up," Tristan answered.

Roberto turned to Jax, "Don't you dare make a move without me."

Tristan watched his brother-in-law leave the hospital room before glancing at Jax, "I hate you...you know that?"

Jax shrugged, "I don't remember entering a popularity contest so it's no skin off my back."

"It's that arrogance that got you in this situation in the first place. I hope you don't regret it," Tristan said softly.

Jax wasn't listening. He was too busy trying to get in touch with Dani.