Chapter 5

Chapter 5

It is such a beautiful sunny day. The sun is at it's highest, serving to blanket the city with light. Driving with the windows down, I can clearly hear the busy chatter of people walking down the streets, families spending time together; bicycling, laughing. Summer is definitely my favourite season, everything just seems so much more alive. Plus, summer wardrobe pieces and colours are always so stunning.

After texting back Nate and getting ready, I had realised how late I was and rushed, well tripped, out of the house to my car, and here I am now; finally escaping from the dreadful traffic I got captured in 10 minutes ago. I see the restaurant up ahead and feel relieved to see I'm only 10 minutes late, it could have been worse. Besides, you should never arrive too early when meeting someone, arriving in style is the way to go.

I realise as I pull into the car park how long it's been since I last came to this restaurant, then I remember how good it is and sigh. The downside to modelling. No spontaneous takeaways throughout the week- my diet wouldn't prevail.

I park up in one of the few empty spots in the crowded car park and reach over to the passenger seat to get my handbag. However, in doing so, I catch a glimpse of the rear view mirror; the sight before me causing a loud groan to leave my mouth.

Paparazzi.

Seriously?!

A group of 6 are waiting a few metres from my car, preparing to get the best shots as I get out.

This is ridiculous.

I just want to freaking eat people, it's really not that entertaining. Do they just wait in the bushes outside my house or something? They always know when I'm out, yet I wasn't expecting it to be this quick. I sigh. There's nothing I can do about it now, I am already late to meet Nate.

I swing the car door open and pull on my shades, closing the door a little too forcefully. I proceed to make my way hurriedly to the entrance of the restaurant. I can hear the clicking of camera's creeping up from behind me and my name being called, but I ignore them and slip into the restaurant.

I am consumed by the delicious aroma of Mexican food as I enter, it smells so good. And unhealthy. Perfect. As I look around I see it is pretty busy, almost all the tables are occupied. As I scan the room more closely, however, my eyes land upon someone sitting on a table at the far end of the restaurant, the chair opposite him empty and his back is to me.

I should creep up on him. Imagine the reaction.

He may think I'm a bit weird though...

Well he's going to find that out eventually, anyway.

"Selena Jacobs!" a loud voice squeals from behind me. I am snapped away from manifesting my semi-evil plan to see a short brunette girl with a uniform on, grinning at me as though I will provide the answers to all her questions. Her excited greeting has attracted the attention of a few nearby tables, aaaand Nate. There goes my plan. We make eye contact and exchange smiles. I turn back to the girl and smile pleasantly; her name badge reads Amanda.

"Hiya! I'm just here to meet a friend" I say warmly, she gets the message and leaves me to it after a minute or so of small talk. I would never brush off someone who is genuinely happy to see me, I still don't understand why people are though- I am about as exciting as a knitting.

As I start my walk over to Nate, I feel my palms sweating.

Why am I so nervous.

Oh I don't know Sel, probably because you made out with an extremely good looking guy last night and now this feels like a date.