Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Here's your stop" announces Zach after a relatively silent car ride, pulling up outside my house with a mock salute.

"Why thank you kind sir" I say in an exaggerated British accent, I then feel the need to say something else too on a more serious note, "I hope I haven't caused any problems between you and Nate today"  Zach bursts into laughter. Well, I wasn't expecting that.

"We're fine, it's normal for us to be dicks to one another from time to time, don't worry" he reassures. I nod, trying to eradicate the lingering feelings of guilt that are still present within me.

"Well nevertheless, thank you for the lift" I smile, he really does have a good heart. As I get out the car I catch sight of the figure stood next to the front door with her arms crossed over her chest expectantly. I slide back into the passenger seat swiftly, Zach glances over at me in question.

"Why is Ava here?" I ask him. He looks at me with a puzzled expression before averting his gaze to the front door of my house, his eyes widen.

"What the.." he trails off in confusion, I hum in agreement. He cuts the engine,

"I'll go with you and see what she's doing, I don't even know how she knows where you live" he admits. I believe him when he says that, it is just irritating that I barely even know Ava yet she is popping up everywhere around me nowadays. Plus, how did she get past my security gate? 

Unless...Jess.

We both get out the car and make our way towards my front door, Ava sees us and her eyes narrow into slits. Does she have nothing better to do than to scowl at me and burn lasers through my head. She walks over to meet us,

"What are you doing here?" Zach asks instantly, she reaches out and touches his arm.

"Well you weren't answering your phone, and then I found out from Nate that you were on a date with her" she looks over at me snarling. Her comment about Nate hits a nerve in me, has he been creating stories to make himself feel better about his actions? Zach shakes her hand off his arm.

"I just took Selena out for lunch, calm down. What's it to you?" Zach looks irritated now, and I'm beginning to think this isn't the first time I have arisen in a conversation. Ava raises her eyebrows in disbelief.

"What's it to me? I am your girlfriend!" She exclaims, her face flushed in anger. I roll my eyes, she is so over dramatic, acting is definitely the best career for her that's for sure.

"For the last fucking time Ava, you.are.not.my.girlfriend. We have sex sometimes, THAT is it. We both were aware of that when we first started this whole thing" he sounds so frustrated. I get that he's angry, but I also do understand why Ava is like this. She has fallen hard for Zach and he wants nothing more than the physical with her; it's like those cliché 'friends with benefits' movie plots where one person in the agreement falls for the other unexpectedly. Ava looks crushed by Zach's words, although I don't want to feel bad, I do feel bad. She may have been nothing but nasty to me when we met, but I definitely know what unrequited love feels like, it basically sums up my entire love life's history. Tragic, I know. 

"Zach, you know it's more than that..." She says softly, looking down at the ground.

I am a little taken aback by how vulnerable Ava looks right now, it's as though Zach has the power to make or break her with his words, I'm not even the one experiencing it and I still find it heart-wrenching. Zach looks torn, thankfully understanding that she does have strong feelings for him. I decide to give them some space and silently walk away, blocking out their voices to give them privacy and letting myself into my house. I sigh as I close the front door, finally I am back in the comfort of my abode which is strictly no boys or drama.