Chapter 24

Chapter 24

The silence looming over us is soon broken as Stephen's voice booms across the table.

"Zachary James Evans!"

I am frozen in my seat as I see his enraged expression. My parents are also sat still in their spots, evidently just as taken aback as I am.

James is his middle name?

Wait, what am I doing? That's so irrelevant.

I look over to see Zach, in contrast to his father, is sitting in his seat at ease with not a care in the world. His hand which was on my knee has now inched up a little to my thigh during his announcement, subsequently leaving me a hot mess next to him.

"Dad, chill. You've seen it on the tabloids already, right?" Stephen just sighs and rubs his temples with his fingertips.

"The manner in which you came out with that was very disrespectful towards the Jacobs', you could do with apologising to them immediately." His voice is stern.

My mum speaks up before Zach "It's no problem, I'm sure Zach is just a little emotional over it."

"I'm sorry for blurting it out like that, it was just bursting within me. I had to say it, it's got me very emotional." Much to my surprise, my parents are actually buying this, and the way he's playing on emotions so well has me in disbelief.

He is an actor for a reason.

I know for a fact that Zach couldn't give a damn about Ava and Nate anymore, but for my sake he's effectively diverted the conversation, just like he said he would. I mean, I wasn't expecting it to be so dramatic, but hey, it wouldn't be Zach if it wasn't.

"It's quite alright, son. Your best friend seems to be a bit of a dick by the sounds of it." My dad grins as he says this and I nearly stumble back off my chair.

"Max, please don't start." My mum is looking at him pointedly, warning him to not go further. My dad has a habit of getting carried away in such conversations, just like my mum can talk for hours on end if needs be.

Zach looks at my dad in what is definitely awe before grinning back, "Yeah, he really is."

Jenna sighs, "I don't think it was necessary to shout it across the table, honey." Zach shrugs in answer.

"Nate's a respectable young man. I didn't think there was any truth to the newspaper reports." Stephen looks physically calmer now and back to his chilled demeanour. Thank Goodness for that, he is scary when he's angry and I only witnessed a few seconds of it.

Zach scoffs, "Nate isn't respectable at all."

I'm guessing that him and Nate haven't spoken yet.

"Nate?" My mum pipes in, "is this the same Nate that your sister mentioned?"

Oh.shit. 

You can always count on Cait to let everyone know about everything...

I keep my eyes on my mum to avoid turning and accidentally catching any of the Evans' eyes. 

Maybe I should just play it dumb. "I don't know."

Hopefully that'll be enough to let it drop, at least till later. However, my mum being her inquisitive self doesn't stop there.

"The model, am I right, Zach?" She addresses Zach directly as she says this, aware that I won't reply. Jenna and Stephen are quietly listening now, probably wondering how I'm involved with their son's best friend.