Chapter 22

Chapter 22

The movie was really good and thankfully Nate and Ava decided to keep quiet for its duration, instead Ava starts with the snide remarks as we walk out the screening room- it's not like I pay any attention to her though.

Zach lets go of my hand as soon as the movie ends and the darkness of the room begins lifting. Although my hand is a little clammy after being in his for so long, I don't mind at all. In that moment Zach needed the physical reassurance. Your best friend turning your back on you is tough enough as it is, nevermind him parading around with Ava too.

The paparazzi are in full swing as we walk out the cinema, thrown into a frenzy at the sight of Ava and Nate walking out of the same place as us. Having given up on taunting Zach and I, Ava is now desperately trying to cling to Nate's arm as he shrugs her off repeatedly.

Awkwwward.

Others walking out the cinema see all the fuss and stop to watch us, so Zach and I walk pretty quickly to his car, with him stopping once to sign a few autographs. I find myself blocking out all the sounds around me as Zach and I get into his car and he pulls on to the road. It's as though we've been enclosed in our own little bubble after the surprising intimacy of simply holding each others hand for two hours. Something has shifted in the air and I find myself surrounded by a constant buzz.

We sit in silence for a while as Zach drives. The sky is now dark which submerges us in shadows, the glow of the road lights illuminating us occasionally.

"Thank you for tonight." Zach says softly, his eyes still on the road. I look over at his handsome face and smile to myself a little at the situation.

We're back to me watching him drive again.

"I should be thanking you. Not only for the movie, but for the whole paparazzi incident earlier too. I really appreciate what you did for me." I hope he knows that I appreciate all he's done for me, from the intruder at my house down to the littlest acts of kindness like the café situation with Nate.

He shakes his head a little, "I'll always protect you, Sel." I feel my heart skip a beat and my breath catch in my throat in awe.

It was a simple statement, but the sincerity in it knocks me into shock.

Zach glances over after I don't reply, his eyes flitting down to my lips before returning to my eyes quickly.

"But really, thank you, you know...for the whole thing during the movie," he nervously coughs a little after saying this, his eyes returning to the road ahead.

I know the 'whole thing' he's referring to is the fact that I took the lead in the conversation with Nate and Ava, and maybe that I held his hand. The latter's relevance I'm not certain on, but Zach's obvious awkwardness suggests it is included.

It's cute.

"You don't need to thank me, he had it coming." I try and joke a little, however the sombre expression on his face makes me pause in my tracks.

He's not in the mood, Sel.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask him quietly, testing the waters. If he does he can, if not then that's okay too. I just want him to feel comfortable.

He just shrugs, "there's not a lot to say." I nod and decide to not push it any further.

We pull up outside my house a few moments later and Zach cuts the engine. I glance over at the house and see all the lights are out, either Jess and Alek are asleep, or doing something I don't wish to witness.