Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The first thing I become aware of when I pry my eyes open is that the constant ringing in my ears has subsided, leaving only a dull throbbing along the left side of my head, enough to cope with. I blink a few times, my eyes straining against even the dimmed light of the room. I am on a hospital bed, no doubt due to medical staff waiting for me to wake up and there are two empty chairs on either side. I press the palms of my hands flat against the bed and haul myself up to a sitting position, wincing a little in the process. That knock on the head really was brutal, that just teaches me to put my seat-belt on quicker I guess. They better have caught the bitch who was in the other car for their reckless driving though.

I glance down at my body to see that I am still in my own clothes, however I now have a big navy blue sweater on top. As I take in the scent of the jumper I feel my body instinctively relax from the familiarity. After the last few days I seem to now instantly link Zach's cologne to comfort- probably since he has swooped in and helped me so many times in such a short space of time.

I look around the hospital room I am in. I don't think I have been in here long since I look as though I was only put down on the bed a few moments ago, the sheets I am on top of look barely touched.

The door to the room then opens and I am greeted by Zach, worry is etched on to his features and his brown hair is ruffled as though he has been running his fingers through it repeatedly. He looks relieved as he sees I am conscious, he walks over to the bed, our eyes never breaking contact. Once he's next to the bed he stays silent, his eyes scanning my face as though he is searching for some sort of answer.

After a moment or so Zach finally speaks. "I'm sorry" he says softly.

He feels guilty? 

"No Zach, you have nothing to be sorry for" I reassure him, leaning my head back on the the pillow so I don't have to strain too much.

He takes in my movement and just shakes his head a little, looking down at the ground in dismay.

"What if it had been worse? It could have killed you if I had braked the car any harder. I nearly killed you" I can tell from his expression that he has been beating himself up about this.

I shake my head slowly and reach out to touch his arm to try and get through to him.

"But it isn't worse, I am okay, just a little bumped and bruised. This wasn't your fault, okay Zach?" I emphasise again.

He sits down on a chair next to the bed, his eyes are on my hand which I placed on his wrist on the bed. He takes my hand from his arm and holds it, his big hand enclosing mine, sending tingles through me. He then twines our fingers together, his hold on me is firm. Even though it's just hand holding, it feels so intimate; I like it a lot.

I know he must feel terrible since he was driving, but that car came out of nowhere and there was nothing anyone could have done to avoid braking that quickly. He looks up from our hands to my face,

"How are you feeling aside from the bumped head?" he asks me softly.

"I'm alright, just a throbbing head, but that will fade away. Did they get the driver for the other car?" I ask hopefully. Zach shakes his head a little and I frown.

"So they just left?" I ask stupidly.

Of course they left, they didn't get caught.

Zach nods, "I was calling the ambulance so I didn't focus on the prick who did it" he explains "You scared the shit out of me."

"There were plenty of toilets nearby" I comment, he laughs at that. A genuine smile.

"Concussed and still sarcastic as hell." He teases, I give him a little wink.