9. Shoot At Me And I'll Just Keep Running From Crazy

***I double uploaded, so don't skip chapter 8!***

Chapter 9

Shoot At Me And I'll Just Keep Running From Crazy

I could feel it...the slow streaks of blood trailing down my back. The slight breeze hit them head on through my shredded shirt, making them sting. Those streaks gathered at the waistband of my shorts, soaking into the material, but that was when the ones on the backs of my legs started, continuing the relay race to the tips of my toes before those red drops of blood landed on the dirt below.

Six unanswered questions and six lashes against my back and legs. That was how long I stayed conscious the first time. The seventh lash a minute later woke me up screaming at the top of my lung. That one was the worst.

It was after the twelfth lash and second time I lost consciousness that Ade curled up whip and walked around to the front of me, smirking at the tearstains on my cheeks.

"I will give you some time to reflect on the questions I have asked and you refused to answer," he said, tossing the whip aside before adjusting the makeshift bandage on his hand. "You have one hour before I come back. And do not think I will not bring out the whip again."

Just to torture me a little more without the whip, he reached forward and pushed, making me swing back and forth. This time, I did bite back my scream as the shoulder that finally popped out of socket burned and throbbed. I had to fight to keep my eyes from rolling back in my head and passing out again.

All I could hear was the creaking of the chains above me and my heart pounding in my ears. I was fighting a losing battle with my consciousness, drifting in and out. I didn't know how much longer I'd last.

Then, the sound of the door opening caught my attention, making me focus on it other than the pain radiating. I just hoped it wasn't Ade coming back. Had it been an hour already?

"Oh, my God, Hattie," a voice whispered. I couldn't focus enough to recognize it. "Hang on...I've got you."

The chains creaked again, but this time as they were lowering me softly to the ground. I couldn't find the strength to stand, so I just crumpled to the ground on my side. Hands were fluttering over me as the voice cursed loudly. The next moment, my dislocated shoulder was moved before sharply popped back into place. I screamed again and, this time, a sob came out with it.

Just as I slowly opened my eyes, Flannery's face came into view.

I'd never been so happy to see her.

"I'm getting you out of here, Hattie. I promise I'll get you both out of here."

I swallowed hard, blinking once. "Beau?"

She nodded as she helped me stand, wrapping her arm around my waist gingerly, trying to avoid the lashes on my skin. Somehow, she'd also found my knife, slipping it into the sheath at my waist. "He's all right. I took care of the guy who was watching over us, along with the others just outside the room." Her gaze fell on the four men I'd taken out, still unconscious on the ground. "Looks like you didn't go down without a fight. And by the bandage on Ade's hand, I'm guessing you got in a good one on him, too."

"Where is he?" I mumbled as we started out of the barn, only to look sideways and answer my own question.

Ade was crumpled on the ground a dozen feet away with a blood-splattered broken nose. A shovel was tossed on the ground beside him.