27. Looks Like Someone's Made A New Friend

Chapter 27

Looks Like Someone's Made A New Friend

"What are you guys doing here?" I gasped, standing up as they came forward into the kitchen. "How are you here? Security around this place...around Pallandino itself..."

"They knew who I was, so they let us through. I vouched for Flannery," Beau explained, and rushed forward to me. "Hattie...the night of the benefit...we had no idea that was what he was plannin'. Are you guys okay? We were just now able to get away and come..." He was just about to go in for a hug when he saw Eddie bundled up in my arms and paused. "The baby's okay."

"He's okay," I nodded, smiling down at him. "Thankfully, we're all okay."

Shifting Eddie in my arms, I leaned forward to give him a one-armed hug. Flannery was just behind him, so she was next.

"I wish we would have known," she whispered, hugging me while being careful of Eddie. "If we did, we would have warned you not to..."

"It's okay," I whispered back. "We weren't sure there for a little while, but we're all okay." She leaned back to look down at the baby. "Drake and I only had cuts and bruises. John had a fractured wrist and a few broken ribs. Emmy...they had to rush her into an emergency C-section, but she's absolutely fine now. And this little guy..." I shifted Eddie, still sound asleep, adjusting the blanket so they could see his chubby cheeks and wild dark hair. "Well, he's perfect, as you can see. They named him Eddie after Ed. Jonathan Edward Raymond III."

Flannery let out a little whimper and smiled down at him. Apparently, this Order girl couldn't resist the sight of a cute newborn baby either.

"He's adorable," she said quietly.

As I adjusted Eddie so they could see him better, another voice sounded from the doorway of the kitchen and the three of us looked up to see Drake rubbing a hand over his face without looking up.

"John said you were down here with Eddie. You sure you don't want to keep him in our room so you can get some sleep, too? Hell, you've put a bassinet in there for when you watch him..."

Finally, he looked up and saw Eddie and I weren't the only ones in the kitchen.

"What...how...?"

"Hey," Flannery whispered, rushing over to him to give him a hug. "Are you okay? We came to see how you guys were doing and talk about what's been going on. Hattie said..."

"How did you guys get through all the security surrounding this place?" he asked, wrapping his arms around her as Beau walked over.

"They knew me," he told him. Drake hugged him next.

Flannery was still visibly upset, even though she tried to calm herself. "I told Hattie. If we would have known what was going to happen the night of the benefit, we would have warned you..."

"It's okay," Drake said, shaking his head as he hugged her again. "We're all okay...and I'm assuming you've met the little man over there."

She nodded. "And I'm so happy he's okay and perfect. And all of you are okay, too. I'm just..." She closed her eyes, shaking her head as she let go of him. "It's just been a crazy twenty-four hours."

"That's because we only learned about what happened with you guys yesterday morning," Beau explained as the four of us headed for the table to sit.