17. Gotta Love Almost Sharing Birthdays With A Now Four-Year-Old

Chapter 17

Gotta Love Almost Sharing Birthdays With A Now Four-Year-Old

The plan was to leave the morning after my birthday. And since we were, the four people who arrived the morning of my birthday were already in a party mood. It helped that one of them had a birthday we would also be celebrating, even though his wasn't until the following day.

So when the front door opened even before we went to greet the new arrivals, I was prepared to be jumped.

"Happy birthday!" Grant and Avery screamed as they launched themselves at me.

I was laughing even as their mother was scolding them.

"Careful!" Elena told them. "Hattie's been through a lot lately and she's still trying to get better!"

"I'm fine," I grinned, as I set them back down on the floor. Kneeling down, I pulled them both forward and covered their faces in kisses, having not seen them in almost two months. "I missed you guys."

"Where'd you go?" Grant asked, looping his arm around my neck. "Mummy said you had to go away and you got sick."

"That doesn't matter," I told him, shaking my head. "I'm back now...and I get you guys as some of my birthday presents. And your birthday's tomorrow."

"Yep!" he grinned.

I stood up just Elena came forward to hug me tightly, even though she'd just finished warning her kids.

"I'm with everyone else on this," she said to me before pulling back. "How did you expect us to react when we realized you'd gone with them? Huh? Stupid move, Hattie."

"Had to do what I had to do," I shrugged, and then hugged Nathan. "And don't worry. Drake's been pissed enough at me for the rest of you."

"Speaking of that guy, where is he?" she asked, looking around for him. "And my charming butt of a brother, for that matter?"

"Haven't seen them since breakfast," Emmy answered, appearing from the hallway. "It's been kind of quiet since Aiden and Sterling are with Theo and Gage, though they should be back in a little while. It's not going to be quiet now that these babies are here, though!" She grinned as she opened her arms just before the two of them attacked her.

We made our way to the kitchen after they brought their bags in and set them by the front door. My mom and Kate were in the kitchen, starting on the big dinner we would have later that night. Juliet was sitting at the table with a pile of paperwork dealing with the Knights' businesses. Savannah and Ash were at the table with her, looking through Lorraine's journal I'd been working on before going to answer the door.

After a round of kisses from the kids, the two of them and Nathan took the kids out in search of Theo, Gage, and the boys, leaving all the ladies in peace.

I sat down beside Savannah, who was holding the journal for both her and Ash to read.

"Which one are you looking at?" I asked, trying to peek over, but not being able to tell.

"Her first one, just when she meets Jesse and Wesley," she answered, her eyes never leaving the page. "This is just so...ugh. And to think Drake's related to them. Lorraine's all serious and a bookworm, straightforward and to the point..."

"And so far, Jesse sounds like a pain," Ash put in.

"You and Drake are so much like them," Savannah mentioned, finally glancing up. "Kinda strange, don't you think? And kind of cute, you know, since you're basically following in their footsteps with this whole thing with the keys."