31. Why Do You Have To Ruin Everything?

Chapter 31

Why Do You Have To Ruin Everything?

When Drake and I walked into the Raymond's house in London, John thought it was him I was excited to see. Too bad, but it was actually my tiny human, fully awake in the crook of his arm, I went for.

"How come you don't get that excited when you see me?" John asked after he winced at my squeal as I rushed toward him.

"Because he's cuter than you," I grinned as I pulled Eddie away from him and kissed his chubby cheeks.

"But he looks exactly like me."

"Oh, stop getting your feelings hurt and help me with all this stuff," Emmy snorted, walking down the stairs with one of their many bags in her hands. "You, too, Drake."

"And don't get too hurt over it either," Drake grinned. "She's already told me she'd gladly pick Eddie over me."

"Darn right, I would," I told him, and kissed Eddie's cheek again.

As Drake and John got all of the bags loaded up in the two cars we would be driving back to Paddon, Emmy, Eddie, and I supervised. Paul and Rosaline had stayed at Elena and Nathan's, so they'd already said their goodbyes. It wouldn't be a long while before we saw them again, though, with Christmas coming up in just a few weeks. And with it being Eddie's first, there was no doubt in my mind everyone was going to show up to Paddon Manor.

Before that, though, Drake and I were leaving in a week to spend two week with both of our families during and after Thanksgiving. We'd first head to Atlanta and then New York City in a trip that would no doubt be crazy as our first trip home being a couple.

But for now, Drake and I took one car, following behind the other as we left London that afternoon. I'd dozed off for a little while, waking just as the manor came into view.

A few of the staff had come out as we pulled up, immediately taking in all of the bags to their respective rooms. Well, that was after Emmy introduced them to the newest addition to the household. Of course, they were all excited to meet Eddie, but why wouldn't they be when they loved his parents so much?

Apparently, when Drake's things were put in the room he'd stayed in before, he really didn't like it that much and immediately moved it down the hall to mine. He claimed Eddie wasn't the only one spoiled anymore.

"What? I like having you in my arms when I fall asleep and when I wake up."

"That line wasn't cheesy at all."

"But it was a good line, huh?"

***

The first night back at the manor was a surprisingly quiet one. It was definitely a nice change, but I still missed the chaos with so many people under one roof.

That quiet was shattered when I screamed myself awake, bolting up from the bed, and woke Drake up in the process.

"Hattie, what happened?" he demanded, moving closer beside me, and began rubbing my back in circles. "Just a bad dream?"

"Really bad dream," I nodded, gasping. "It was us...you...Vince...he had you..."

"Hey," he said, quietly, leaning over to kiss the side of my head. "It's okay. He's not here, okay? It was just a bad dream."

"I know, but it still freaks me out, especially when he's made so many threats."

Drake continued to rub my back, even after he laid back down beside me and began to doze off. But I wasn't even going to attempt to fall back asleep, not with the threat of Vince invading my dreams and turning them into nightmares.