25. He's New Here

Chapter 25

He's New Here

Word travelled fast. Why wouldn't it when it was Emmy we were talking about?

I'd been sitting next to Drake, curled up against his side, watching John pace the floor in front of us. His wrist was in a brace, only because one of the nurses had forced it on him, but he wouldn't let them do anything about his broken ribs. He didn't even seem to be in pain, but focused solely on Emmy.

Ryan and Jamie were the first ones to get there. Jamie immediately ran to him, wrapping him in a hug that he returned with full force before giving one to Ryan. The two guys held each other for a long few minutes, Ryan telling him everything was going to be okay.

"What the hell happened?" Jamie asked when they finally separated.

"The Order," John said thickly as he wiped his hands under his eyes. "They came out of nowhere, hitting the car just right. We flipped, glass went everywhere, and I just...Emmy...she was screaming..." He closed his eyes, sitting down in the seat beside me, and put his head in his hands.

"She was bleeding a lot," I went on. "We all knew something was wrong with the baby. Maybe it sent her into labor, but with that much blood..." I shook my head. "She passed out just before the ambulance got there. The Knights were already on high alert, finding the other car not far down the road and following after. They also abandoned the car they hit us with. Now, we're here. And Emmy...they rushed her into an emergency C-section. They haven't come out to say anything yet about her or the baby's condition."

Ryan knelt down in front of John, tugging his hands away from his face to see his watery eyes. "She's going to be fine. They both will be fine. You got that?"

Over the next few minutes, everyone else showed up. Emmy's parents where there, too, along with Jason and his fiancée Audrey. They'd been planning on coming since the baby was due at any time, arriving just a few hours before, but they certainly weren't prepared for what happened. What was supposed to be a happy time with the arrival of the new baby turned into a nightmare.

Another hour had passed before anything happened. Theo was able to give us a little information until he didn't come back at all twenty minutes into our waiting. While he was gone, we were all sitting in silence. John started pacing again, growing more and more anxious with every second that passed. That silence was broken by the sound of footsteps coming down the hallway just before the end of the third hour. And then Theo appeared, wearing his scrubs and a bright smile on his face as he looked at John.

"I got word from her doctors...and they're both absolutely fine," Theo told him. "They were able to get the bleeding stopped she lost too much and delivered the baby safely. Emmy's in recovery, but they'll be moving her to a more comfortable room soon, and the baby was taken to the nursery to get checked out. Everything's perfect as far as they can tell. They should be finished by now, so..." He clasped John on the shoulder, nodding back toward the doors. "Are you ready to go meet your son?"

Tears and laughter filled the waiting room as John nodded, shaking with relief.

"Yeah," he whispered gruffly. "Yeah, of course, I want to meet him."

Time flew then as John left with Theo and the rest of us waited in happiness and relief that something good had come from something horrible. In no time at all, Theo reappeared with a smile still on his face.

"John's in there with Emmy and the baby, though she still hasn't woken up from the anesthesia. You guys all want to come back?"

"All of us?" Ryan asked, looking around at our huge group that took up the whole waiting room. "You sure we can fit?"