22. Yep, Still Lookin' Good In A Suit

Chapter 22

Yep, Still Lookin' Good In A Suit

"Have I mentioned how much I hate this dress?" I asked as Emmy pulled up the zipper in the back.

"Only about a hundred times," she grinned, looking at me in the mirror over my shoulder. "And I will say again, you look phenomenal. I didn't get to see it in person the last time you wore it. At least you don't look like a pumpkin in yours. Pregnancy and fancy dresses are not meant to be together."

"What about my back, though?" I questioned, hesitating as I turned, eyeing the new, gauzy fabric that had been stitched in.

Momma had sent over the dress I'd worn to the benefit where I saw Drake for the first time in years. Now, though, with what happened with Ade and the wounds from the lashes on my back, I knew someone would catch sight of them. No doubt questions would be thrown my way and rumors would fly. The fabric that now covered the back of the dress camouflaged them well, though they would still be able to be slightly seen. The glittering stones that dotted it and having my hair down would help, too.

"It's barely noticeable. And they're not even finished healing yet. They'll lighten up over the next few months."

"I shouldn't even be complaining," I sighed, looking at Emmy and her own scars that marred her face and neck. "But I'm still getting used to seeing them."

"At least they've healed up nicely, even after opening up so many times in the beginning. Drake being your ball and chain and not letting you out of bed for a few days really was a good thing. I think he's going to really like seeing you in this dress again, too."

At that, I rolled my eyes. "You just like seeing us together."

"Of course!" she grinned. "After rooting for you two forever...well, now you know why I can't stop squealing whenever you two are being cute. Do you know how long I've waited for Drake to finally have a good girl in his life? And to think it's actually been you the entire time..."

"Well, not the whole time," I told her. "He's been with two other girls, including Flannery..."

"But you're the one."

"You're making that sound weird."

"I know," she grinned. "Just think how far the two of you have come. You really didn't get along that much in the beginning. I mean, you beat him up..."

"And I still do."

She snorted out a laugh, walking over to the table where I'd placed my locket and picking it up. "True...but you're the only one who's ever had this," she said, fastening it around my neck as I held my hair up. "That's got to mean something."

Everything.

I didn't say it out loud.

Just then, in the mirror, Drake appeared in the doorway, dressed in a tux with his bowtie untied around his neck. He had just reached up to start the knot, but paused when he saw me.

"Damn, you look beautiful," he grinned, strolling into the room. "Last time I saw you in that dress..."

"Times were a little different then," I smiled back as I turned around to face him.

"Yeah, but my thoughts are still the same as they were then. And at least I can do now what I had to keep myself from doing then."

"Yeah? And what's that?"