3. Gandalf's Pet's Nephew

I looked deep into the beast's eyes, frozen in place. Standing my ground, I would like to claim, but no. I was too terrified to move. To even breathe.

Closer it came. Closer, and closer...

Who dares enter my domain?

"It is not I trespassing!" I shouted.

"Amariel?" came a faraway voice. I ignored it. This was far more important.

I am...Death. ...

"My kin did nothing to hurt you!" I cried.

"Amariel!" Something shoved me to the ground. The fire drake swept over me and the rest of the crowd, flew straight up, then exploded again, this time into a million sparkles of red and gold.

Someone pulled me upright, and a hand supported my neck. "Amariel?" A callused thumb stroked my cheek. "All is well," he said.

I blinked. Gandalf? I sat up slowly, pulling away from his touch. "What happened?" I asked.

"It was only a firework," he answered. "It seems to have...triggered something in you."

My mind cleared, and I looked up at him. "I'm fine. You better stop those fool Hobbits before they do some real damage."

Gandalf glanced over me with a concerned expression, then he nodded, stood, and strode away.

I took a deep breath and sighed, then tousled my hair. That was...embarrassing. I pushed myself onto my knees, about to stand, when a voice stopped me. "I saw what happened - are you alright?"

Just behind me stood the dark-haired Hobbit I'd seen dancing. With him standing and me kneeling, I was about a foot shorter than him. He was cute, worried blue eyes and all.

"Yeah," I answered, giving a small grin. "I'm okay. Startled me a bit, that last firework."

He grinned back. Aww Eru. These Hobbits would be the death of me. Toeing the ground bashfully, he said, "It startled me, too. But Bilbo knew there wasn't anything wrong." He glanced over his shoulder at where Gandalf's pet was motioning for some very, very young Hobbits to gather around. Apparently Hobbit hatchlings come with their eyes full-grown.

Note to self: if you ever see a Hobbit hatchling on the side of the road, pick it up.

Back to the matter at hand. Gandalf's pet. "This Bilbo..." I asked carefully. "Do you know him?"

The man gave a short laugh, but not in a mean way. Actually, that too was quite adorable. "Bilbo? Of course. He's my uncle. I thought everyone knew that."

I chuckled. "I'm new around here. Gandalf... invited me to the party."

"That's funny," he said. "He didn't mention..." A troubled look came into his eyes, and he looked away. Then he sighed, pulling in a pleasant expression. "No matter. My name is Frodo Baggins."

I smiled. "I'm Eda."

"So where are you from, Eda?"

I hesitated. What should I say?

"Oi! Frodo!" came a call from behind me. "Tell Rosie to let me 'ave a drink and rest me feet!"

Frodo laughed, and I stood, looking for an excuse to end our conversation. Baggins Sr. was waddling away with a flock of Hobbitlings in tow, toward a big cake with a lot of candles. He leaned down to their height, showing them how to swipe a bit of icing without being caught.

"Speech!" called one of the Hobbits from the crowd.

"Speech!" Frodo piped up immediately.

Thank Eru. I flashed a smile at Frodo, who was moving closer to a podium as Bilbo was ushered into it. I slipped to the outskirts of the crowd, then found a shadow to hide in and watch. My head told me this was just another part of the festival - but my gut told me action was coming.

"My dear Bagginses and Boffins," Bilbo began. "Tooks, and Brandybucks. Grubbs, Chubbs, and Proudfoots."

"Proudfeet!" bellowed one Hobbit from the crowd.

Bilbo gave a dismissive gesture, and the crowd laughed. Then he grinned and said, "Today is my one-hundred and eleventh birthday!" The crowd cheered, and he continued. "Eleventy years is hardly enough time to spend in the company of such fine Hobbits. I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I know led than half of you half as well as you deserve."

A confused silence followed Bilbo's statement. I, myself, was trying to straighten out all the double-negatives and whatnot, when Bilbo hesitantly continued.

"I... I have things to do. ..." He slipped his fingers into his pocket and pulled something out, hiding it behind his back. Then his voice gained some strength. "I regret to announce that this is the end. I must be going now." A wicked glint entered his eyes. "Goodbye."

And with that, he vanished from sight.