9. Echoes of the Past

"...And they were so busy arguing, whether to turn us on a spit or squash us each to jelly, that they didn't notice the sun creeping over the trees, and poof!"

I jumped at his sudden sound affect, though I'd heard this story the night before.

"It turned them all to stone," Bilbo concluded with a content nod.

I cozily stretched my bare toes toward the fire, relishing the warmth. I was stupid not to have introduced myself to Bilbo at his birthday party, and travelled with him this way the entire time.

I gazed at the Hobbit, who was nibbling on the end of his pipe and looking up at the clear sky. Though Gandalf's pet was quite unusual, it was hard to believe he'd willingly undertaken such a journey. Quietly, I asked, "Did you really travel with the dwarves, to retake Erebor?"

Bilbo slowly nodded. "Aye. Though, sometimes, I can scarcely believe it myself."

I laid down, pillowing my head with my satchel. "Would you tell me one more story, before we sleep?" Of course, I would not be sleeping; I would be keeping guard. But Bilbo still couldn't know that side of my journey.

"One more," he agreed with a soft nod. "I'll tell you a story I scarcely mentioned the other evening. The tragic tale of Kili and Tauriel."

My heart squeezed. "Okay," I whispered.

Bilbo took a long, thoughtful draw from his pipe. "Kill was a prince of Erebor, the second-born nephew of Thorin, King under the Mountain. Being the younger of the two, less was expected of him, and Kili was a bit more reckless than his brother.

"Tauriel was the captain of the guard in the Woodland Realm, but make no mistake; she was the outcast. For she followed her heart, regardless of the commands of her king.

"The two met when we were - " Bilbo chuckled abruptly, "attacked but a swarm of giant spiders. We would've been killed then and there, if the Woodland Elves hadn't shown up. I was able to slip away, but the dwarves were all captured.

"Something sparked that day, something neither of them acknowledged until it was too late. The dwarves were locked away in King Thranduil's dungeon, and I understand Tauriel visited with Kili several times, from the other side of the cell door. Of course, Tauriel had her own admirer - the crown prince Legolas. And he grew very jealous of Kili, for the attention Tauriel gave him."

"Legolas," I murmured. The name rolled over my tongue easily, like a simple, beautiful melody.

"Kili was killed in the Battle of Five Armies, by the Pale Orc - a hideous creature determined to end Durin's line. Tauriel fought hard, trying to protect Kili, even as he lay dying. But even the Elvish captain of the guard couldn't save him."

Tears welled up in my eyes, and one spilled over, hitting the dirt below.

"I often wonder what became of Tauriel," Bilbo said quietly. "For Elves only ever love once. And I often wonder what became of the Mirkwood prince, for his feelings were undeniable. Elves believe that all true love is a gift from Arda, but I sometimes think that love is just as much a curse, as it is a blessing."

Tears streamed down my face unhindered. Stories of love lost, of heartache and broken dreams, they always affected me too deeply.

Bilbo looked at me, and his face softened. "Come now, it's in the past. Now get some sleep. We start off early tomorrow; I should very much like to reach Rivendell by nightfall."

"Ok-ay." My voice cracked, embarrassingly. Blushing a little, I curled up and wrapped my arms around myself, then closed my eyes. But while I feigned sleep, I strained to hear across the plains, listening as wildlife bedded itself down for the night.

At length, I heard Bilbo empty out his pipe and put it away, then settle in to sleep. Only when he began to snore quietly did I open my eyes and carefully sit up.

The tiny fire he'd built cast eerie shadows around our little campsite, but bathed it in a warm glow. I let my eyelids droop, listening to the crackle of the fire.

I must've fallen asleep, because I was awoken by a raspy whisper across the camp.

"He stole it! He stole it from us!...Shut up! They're still asleep, Precious."

I froze, eyes still closed. It was that creature again. I would have to fight it off - but he didn't know I was awake. I had surprise on my side. Where were my swords? I lifted my eyelashes a millimeter, searching. There, just to my right, between me and Bilbo. I risked opening my eyes a tad more. The creature was crawling toward him, only a few feet away from the sleeping Hobbit.

Now or never.

With a battle yell that would impress a dwarf lord, I rolled, snagging my swords. Landing on my knees, I swung wildly at the creature.

The thing gave a startled screech and backpeddled out of my reach. Then, flopping over into all fours, he galloped away as fast as he could.

Bilbo, who was sitting up and rubbing his eyes, said, "What? What's happening? What was that?"

I exhaled, willing my pounding heart to settle. "I dunno," I answered, rocking back to sit on my rear. "But luckily, it scares easy. I don't think we'll have any more trouble tonight."

But as I moved to lay my swords down, the ground beneath me trembled. The tall grass quivered ever so slightly, and in the distance, animals fled.

"Bilbo," I said, frowning slightly. "Gather your things." I hastily pulled my boots on and slung my satchel over my shoulder, then I stood and strapped my swords on properly. Somewhere in the darkness, I could hear many feet trampling the earth. And those feet were fast approaching.

"Why?" he asked, grabbing his backpack and putting it on. "What's wrong?"

"We have to go," I answered. I dropped to my knees and shoveled handfuls of dirt into the fire until it flickered out, leaving us in darkness. The marching was growing closer, and louder. My eyes quickly adjusted to the faint starlight, revealing a massive army approaching. "Do you have a weapon, by any chance?" I asked, my voice faint.

Bilbo pulled a short sword from his pack, grasping it tightly. The blade glowed a bright blue in the darkness.

"Orcs," he said, a maniacal grin spreading on his face.

"Glad you're excited," I muttered. And we started running.