56. On the Anduin

"Mithril is always found far underground, and within dense stone that is very difficult to mine. Even Dwarves have a very hard time getting it out. And that's why it's so extremely valuable. Besides, of course, the fact that it is light as an eagle's feather, and hard as the scales of a dragon."

The irresistable urge to yawn came over me. I held it back until Gimli's gaze wandered to the shore, then I placed both hands over my mouth and cut loose. The moment Gimli turned back to face us, I dropped my hands and shut my mouth.

"I find it very surprising that the young Hobbit has a Mithril vest-after all, we Dwarves keep a meticulous record of the whereabouts of each ounce of Mithril we've mined. And we have no record of Frodo's owning anything so illustrious. Of course, it was probably handed down to him by the Hobbit Bilbo-after all, he was given a vest identical to the one Frodo wears even as we speak."

Legolas leaned forward to whisper in my ear. "Change the subject. Please."

"It's your fault he's been monologuing for the past hour," I hissed back. "You change the subject."

"You're half-Dwarf," Legolas argued. "You ought to know how to shut him up."

"Are ye listening, laddie?" Gimli asked, frowning.

"Actually," I cut in, "Gimli, I was wondering what news you have of Erebor. I haven't been there in thirty-six years."

"Oh...of course, Yer Majesty."

"Don't call me that."

"I'm sorry, Yer Highness."

Legolas snickered, and I shot him a glare. It wasn't funny.

The rest of the day passed slowly. Our boat brought up the rear of the trio, while Aragorn's led and Boromir's occupied the middle. I caught myself dozing off throughout the trip. At about noon, a wave jolted the boat and interrupted my almost-doze. I gave a frustrated groan and rubbed my still-sore neck.

"Here," Legolas said, pausing his paddling to reach beneath his seat. He took a thick fold of gray fabric and handed it to me. "This is yours. Lie down in the bottom of the boat and use it as a pillow."

I took the fold and followed his instructions, awkwardly sliding beneath the bench I'd been sitting on. The boat was long enough-and I was short enough-that I could stretch out. But my legs ended up extending into Gimli's footspace, and my head would rest between Legolas's feet. I frowned. Perhaps this wasn't such a great idea.

Legolas gave a quiet chuckle. "I have no objections, provided the Dwarf doesn't."

I glanced at Gimli, who scoffed. "I would not hesitate to provide my Queen with any comforts the road may provide."

I resisted the urge to sigh. "Technically, it's a river," I muttered, only loud enough for Legolas to hear.

Legolas smirked. "You're stalling."

"No I'm not," I retorted, plopping the fabric down between his feet. Then, to prove it, I laid down, resting my head on the makeshift pillow.

Chuckling, Legolas said, "Rest well, Eda."

Infinitely more comfortable than I'd been in more than a day, my eyes rolled back into my head, and my body dragged my mind into the depths of sleep.

* * *

A hand gently jostled my shoulder. "Eda. Wake up."

I groaned and sat up. The sun was setting-man, I'd slept a long time. Rubbing my eyes, I mumbled, "Yeah?"

"We are stopping for the night," Legolas replied. "As you have rested all day, you will be taking first watch."

I nodded. "Okay."