51. New Best Friend, Old Worst Enemy

Instead of going directly back to our flets after breakfast, Legolas and I opted to walk around Lothlòrien for awhile before subjecting ourselves to Cellinneth's torture.

We walked in companionable silence for awhile, slowly climbing and descending the never-ending stairs leading the path over massive protruding mallorn roots. It wasn't long before my ribs were throbbing, and Legolas was leaning on his walking stick more than ever. So when we noticed a small path branching off to a garden, no discussion was needed for us to head that direction.

Plants on either side of the path gave the illusion we'd strayed into a child's maze. Or perhaps we had—I couldn't tell. At length, we reached a small clearing. At the center stood a wrought-iron birdbath, elegantly fashioned and standing proud. Around the edges of the clearing were scattered a few carved wooden benches. Legolas and I walked to the nearest one and sat down.

I'd heard this length of bench described before as a lovers' seat—just wide enough for two people to sit side-by-side. Legolas didn't seem put off by the lack of distance between us, so I settled in at his side without complaint. My mind strayed to our odd and unsettling breakfast with Lady Galadriel.

"Legolas," I said suddenly, "what did Galadriel say to you?"

He raised a dark eyebrow at me, and smirking a little, he said, "Do you make a habit of immediately asking others their confidential affairs?"

"Of course not. Well..." I looked away. "Unless it's something I think I ought to know."

"And what makes you think this is something you ought to know?" Legolas smoothly replied.

I frowned. "I just...got that impression." I met his gaze. "Is it?"

He gave a half-smile and turned to look at the surrounding flora. "The Lady informed me that there is much about you that I do not yet know."

I wasn't sure how to respond, and the following silence was uncomfortable.

Finally, Legolas said, "And what of your conversation with Lady Galadriel? You seemed greatly interested in me for awhile."

Heat rose in my cheeks, and I stared straight ahead. "I was trying to block her," I mumbled.

"And did you find the exercise enjoyable?" Legolas's tone was far too close to laughter.

I shot him a humorless glare, which elicited a chuckle from him. Eru, was I that transparent? Finally, I answered, "It could've been worse."

"Hmm." Legolas frowned at that, but playfully. Then he lazily draped an arm across the back of the bench, behind my shoulders, not touching me. "And what did she say to you? You appeared rather distraught." His teasing had disappeared, and he gazed at me concernedly.

I looked away, uncomfortable with the intensity of his gaze. "She knows about me. About who I am, where I'm from, what I've done..." While I'd never told any one person everything, if Galadriel wanted to blackmail the Mordor out of me, she would've had no lack of material or knowledge to do so. A shiver crawled up my spine, fleshing out into goosebumps where the dress's neckline failed to cover my neck and shoulders.

Legolas's hand gingerly touched my right shoulder, his fingertips grazing my skin. His other hand clasped my uninjured shoulder, and he said, "She is not angry with you...?" It came out more as a question.

I swallowed hard and shook my head. "No. It's just—she's so powerful. It frightened me all those years ago...but now I'm terrified."

A small grin lifted Legolas's features, and he said, "It would seem, proper fear is a mark of maturity. At least in you."