14. I'm Officially Confused.

"You see," Elrond began, "the future is not a fixed thing. There are many possibilities, many outcomes from the many choices that we make on a daily basis.

"The small things, the futures that could easily vanish with the slightest deviation from a certain path, appear hazy to me-very difficult to see or understand. But some futures are much more resilient, and some almost impossible to change."

I sighed. "The bottom line, please?"

A small exhale escaped Elrond's nose, but that was his only outward sign of his irritation. "You have many possible futures."

"Obviously. Like, am I gonna chase after Elladan this visit?"

"Without a doubt," Elrond grumbled.

I crossed my legs and tapped the leather seat back with my fingers. "Elrohir told me of his elder brother's disinterest in elleths. Perhaps, if you're wanting Elladan to marry, he would settle for something a little more... unusual."

Elrond chuckled. "You balance on the edge of a knife, venturing into this territory."

"Oh, no, my lord," I replied with a bright smile. "I jumped off the blade a long time ago."

"Which would explain why you continue forward with all the poise of an inebriated Oliphant." He had such a way with words.

My smile darkened. "Water's nice off the deep end."

Lord Elrond eyed me, his expression nearly void of emotion. Nearly. His jaw ticked. "I suppose it didn't occur to you that your behavior does not encourage me to betroth my son to you."

"With all those elleths lining up to ask for his hand, I had to do something different. Admit it, I'm memorable."

"You are, indeed," he replied, without the slightest trace of amusement. "But back to the matter at hand. A number of your futures directly influence the entirety of Middle Earth."

I scoffed. "You're kidding, right?"

Lord Elrond's expression was deadly serious. "Have you ever known me to kid?"

Wincing at his tone, I said, "I'll take that as a no, then."

His glare faded to a dull, unfocused gaze over my head. "Leave me," he murmured.

"Lord Elrond?" I asked, straightening in my seat. "Are you alright?"

He gave a faint nod of his head and waved his hand, motioning vaguely for me to get out. "Leave." Officially creeped out-and confused as Mordor-I stood and headed for the door. As I entered the hallway, Elrond's voice echoed after me. "And stay away from my son!..." A soft groan, then, "I know you won't. ..."

I rolled my eyes and began limping down the stairs.

It took an excruciatingly long time to get anywhere, since my right foot and thigh were throbbing monstrously. So when I reached the room holding the Shards of Narsil, I stopped. The Shards were beautiful, almost silvery in the low light of the room. And even after two and a half thousand years, the edges glinted with a dangerous sharpness.

I trailed my fingers over the cold, sleek metal. Not the edge; I wasn't that stupid. But along the broad side of the blade. Admiring its fine make, and a little awestruck at its historical significance.

Funny; if Sauron hadn't stepped on the blade and broken it, Narsil would never have cut the Ring from his hand. Narsil would've been just another ownerless sword on a desolate battleground. Narsil wouldn't be glowing beneath my touch now.

And so, some things must be broken to become whole.

I shook my head at myself. Too many metaphors weren't good for my mental health. And so, pushing aside my analytical inclinations, I continued to limp to my room.

It was a pretty little place, situated just off a walkway carved into the mountain. On the other side of the guardrail was a magnificent view of the Rivendell waterfall, and valley below. The room itself was also carved into the mountain, dimly lit by little torches all around. Straight ahead from the door was a luxurious bed, then in the opposite corner was a small bathtub. Directly to the right was a vanity mirror and wardrobe.

I sat on the edge of my bed and propped my right ankle up on my left knee to check my throbbing foot. A dark stain had spread across the bottom of the light bandage, and I sighed. Eru, it was rough being mortal.

I decided a nice hot bath, a meal in bed, then a good night's rest was in order for the rest of the day. I called for a maid to begin setting my plans to motion, but I should have remembered.

Where plans are made, chaos reigns.