65. The Trek

In less than an hour, the entire village had gathered what they absolutely needed, and we began the trek to Edoras. Legolas made it clear that he thought I was utterly stupid for wanting to remain with the villagers when we could ride ahead to Edoras by ourselves. But that would involve leaving Boromir behind, which I refused to do.

So here we were, riding Arod at a dull walk, pretending the other didn't exist. Again. Naturally, I broke the silence first.

"Why do we do this?" I sighed, leaning my head back to rest on Legolas's shoulder.

"I do not know what you are talking about."

I rolled my eyes. "Ignore each other until we're forced not to," I clarified for the benefit of a particularly stubborn ellon.

"Perhaps there is nothing to say."

"Or perhaps you're mad at me?"

Legolas didn't respond.

"Well, I have something to say to you," I snapped.

"Hm."

"If you love me because I'm the kid of your first crush, forget it. I can find someone who loves me because I'm me." A thought popped into my mind, and hiding a smirk, I added, "Elladan proposed to me, and while I told him no, I'm sure he'd let me change my mind."

"Wha—Elladan!" Legolas sputtered indignantly.

I bit my lip to keep from laughing. I'd rather marry a troll, but my claim certainly had Legolas reevaluating himself.

"You'd never marry such a bookish, disinterested ellon," he said, as though trying to convince himself.

"Oh, he was hardly bookish or disinterest when I was around," I snipped back. "He nearly took me to his bed." Never mind the fact that it was my bed—and my encouragement that got us there.

"But he didn't," Legolas pointed out. "You said you were still...erm..."

I forced back a snigger and said in a dry, flat voice, "A virgin?"

A pause, then, "Yes." I didn't answer, and he added, "You are, aren't you?"

I craned my neck back to glare up at him. I'd already told him once; did he not believe me? "Why do you even care?" I snapped.

"Because I feel responsible!" he snapped back. "Though evidently you disregard any person's attempt to keep you safe."

"No," I bit back, "I simply don't like people interfering with my decisions."

"And what if your decisions are childish and witless? Would you have them say nothing?"

"They can say whatever the Mordor they like," I muttered. "It's what they do that infuriates me."

* * *

Legolas's POV

We made camp at nightfall, and Eda, having fallen back into her characteristic silence, once more behaved as though she didn't care for my presence. It rather bothered me that she pretended thus, but since she apparently desired personal space, as she put it, I gladly obliged her.

After Eda dismounted, I led Arod to the picket line where the villagers were tying their horses. After securing him, I observed the group of refugees circling their fledgeling bonfire, watching from cover of darkness. Boromir passed a small portion of his lembas supply to Eda, who flashed him a grateful smile before digging in. He sat down next to her, and they began to chat.

That irked me. I had lembas, too, and she was eating Boromir's. Clearly, she did not hold the same grievances with the mortal that she did with me.