80. And, More Trouble

I drew in a sharp breath. "What?"

Oin glanced up at me, before continuing to read on the next page. "Fall of 2941. Three days after the Battle of Five Armies. After some debate, it was decided the Arkenstone would not be buried with the King and Princes. Thorin, Fili, and Kili were laid to rest in the shadow of King Thròr's statue." A hint of emotion entered Oin's voice, and he paused to clear his throat. "After attempting in vain to destroy the dragon egg via hacking, crushing, and burning, what remains of Thorin's company debated for hours. Our conclusion is to build a cage in which to put the egg until we can learn how to destroy it."

I looked to Dwalin, having a hard time believing any of this. He gave a single nod of confirmation.

Oin straightened and turned to the shelf. He pulled another, smaller book from the collection and opened it up to the middle. "Summer of the year 2965. The key to the dragon's Mithril cage has gone missing."

Silence fell over the room. My mind whirled, trying to process. Finally, I said, "Let me get this straight. There's a dragon egg...in Erebor."

"It hatched," Dwalin corrected soberly. "Smaug's offspring is even more ferocious and bitter than her father."

My stomach sank. "And the key is missing."

Oin nodded. "Aye. If that key ever falls into unfriendly hands, and they learn of its use...we're right back where we started with Smaug."

"But worse," Dwalin stated. "The dragon hates us. She wouldn't just drive us out. She would incinerate every last Dwarf and probably Dale as well."

"So you see," Oin concluded softly, "Thorin Stonehelm and Daìn Ironfoot aren't our primary concern."

Dwalin nodded. "If we don't get that key back...there won't be an Erebor left."

* * *

Dwalin led me down the corridor to the old home I used to share with Dìs. His hand rested on the door knob, but he hesitated. "Amariel...I should have told you before now, but I didn't feel it was the right time."

I chuckled tensely. "Careful Dwalin...it could be dangerous, admitting you feel anything at all."

He scoffed at my poke. "I try, on occasion." Looking at me, he sighed and said, "Dìs passed away, about three months ago. It hit us all pretty hard."

I crossed my arms over my stomach and looked away. I wasn't surprised...but it felt like a piece of my chest had been ripped out. I swallowed hard and nodded once. "Thanks for telling me," I said quietly.

Dwalin nodded and opened the door, then stepped back to let me in.

I walked into my childhood home, looking around as the memories flooded my head. The living room floor, where I used to play with my toys. The stool that Dìs would have me sit on when she combed and braided my hair. The wood stove I'd burned my hands on countless times. Everything looked exactly the same, like Dìs had left for Dale this morning to do some shopping.

"Dwalin," I choked out, "could I have some time alone?"

"Of course, lass. I'll gather the Court; you need to be presented as soon as possible."

I nodded, waiting until I heard the door close and Dwalin's heavy footsteps retreat down the hallway. Then I fell apart.

A sob racked through me, and I sank to my knees. I felt so completely alone and vulnerable. I didn't feel like a queen; I felt like a little girl that had lost everything that ever mattered.

But after a couple of minutes, I sighed and wiped away my tears. I had made my decision, and I would not back out now. I would be Queen of Erebor, whether I felt the part or not.