32. Another Adventure

A day and a night passed, and I remained in my cell. Twice, some random Elf would come and hand-feed me a small portion of lembas bread and wine. I gratefully drank the wine now—after all, why not? I'd checked the cell for any imperfections, any weaknesses that I could exploit. But with no flaws to speak of, and my hands tied, it was a pointless exercise.

It was just after midday on the day after I'd been arrested, when Bilbo came waddling down the center aisle between the cells. An elleth trailed along behind him, watching him closely.

"Bilbo!" I exclaimed, moving to the front of the cell.

"Eda," he answered, his eyes saddening as they skimmed over me. "Elrond told me I'd find you down here. What did you do?"

I sighed. "I gave the false alarm, night before last."

Bilbo nodded slowly, then he turned to the elleth. "I'd like to speak with Eda in private, if I may."

The elleth gave a nod and left.

Bilbo gave a devious chuckle. "That was easy." I raised an eyebrow, but Bilbo was already talking again, now in an undertone. "Here. Let me loosen the ropes."

Confused, I turned around so that Bilbo could reach between the bars and access my bonds. His nimble fingers quickly loosened the ropes, until I could easily slip my hands out. I started to wriggle my hands around, but he raised a hand.

"Not yet. Wait until dark. And here." He reached into his pocket, and my eyes widened as he pulled out a key. He slipped it into the cell, and into my own pocket. "There you are," he whispered, grinning.

I just stared at him, dumbfounded.

"So you can escape," he said, the duh evident in his tone.

"I know," I hissed, "but..."

"No time for questions," Bilbo interrupted. "You should go have another adventure—for me."

Tears welled up in my eyes. "Bilbo—"

"Shush, now." Bilbo swallowed hard, struggling with tears of his own. "This is goodbye, lass. It shouldn't be made harder." He reached in and patted my shoulder. "Remember what I told you, Eda."

"And I you, Bilbo," I replied shakily.

He gave a wan smile, then waddled out of the prison.

* * *

That night, when darkness had fallen, I still hadn't been caught with the key, or with my loosened bonds. So after I'd been given my simple evening meal, and darkness had settled over Rivendell, I began wiggling free of the ropes.

That done, I paused and listened for anyone who might be around. Hearing nothing, I pulled the key out of my pocket and reached between the cell bars, then pushed the end of the key into the keyhole. I slowly, gently twisted it until it gave a loud click.

I jumped and listened. No footsteps anywhere, no voices. Apparently the Shadow Walker didn't warrant any guards in the Elves' minds.

I pushed the door open, wincing at the low squeal it emitted, but not stopping. Finally free, I exited the cell and left the dungeon.

Luckily, clouds blanketed the sky, making the night very dark. I moved through Rivendell unseen, even by the few Elves I passed on my way to my room. When I finally reached my room and opened the door, I was met by a chilling sight. The bed was stripped of its linins, my wardrobe had been emptied, and my swords were gone.

No matter what Elrohir had said, I wasn't intended to return to my bedchambers.

The smartest and easiest thing would've been for me to just leave Rivendell, and probably head back to Bree—lay low for awhile. But I didn't fancy traveling anywhere without my swords, and I wouldn't leave without my knife. So, I headed for the one place my weapons were bound to be.

The House of Elrond.

The journey there was quiet and uneventful. But my heart was hammering when I went through the front door. I slowly ascended the staircase, listening for any movement other than my own. My hands were trembling; if I met with someone...well, I didn't have any weapons. None.

I wasn't exactly sure where Elrond would have stowed my blades, either. A random closet? Some personal weapons cache? His bed chambers? I rather hoped it wasn't the latter. But I would tear this building down brick by brick before I left my knife behind.

A dim light flickering under a closed door caught my attention. The throne room. But why would anyone be in there?

My eyes widened. Of course! Elrond had seen this coming. All of this. And he was waiting for me. He'd created a trap that he knew I'd willing walk into.

I gritted my teeth. I'd been set up. And as much as I wanted to, as much as I should have, I couldn't walk away. I pushed the door open and walked in.