61. Village Healer

Legolas's POV

Every building was made of stone, rough-hewn wood, and thatch. Chickens and goats wandered the streets, and children ran to and fro, trying to catch their animals. The majority of the visible populace were women and children, save a couple of boys on the cusp of manhood. They all went barefoot and wore rags. And they all turned to stare at us as we passed.

The horseman stopped in front of the largest building and dismounted, pulling Eda into his arms. She groaned, and I scowled. I should've been the one to carry her. I dismounted and followed the horseman into the building, with Boromir close behind me.

"Lady Faèola?" the horseman called.

A woman hurried around the corner, immediately dropping into a curtsy. "My lord Èomer," she said. "How may I help you?"

"We have two wounded," he said, nodding at Eda and Boromir.

The woman—Faèola—eyed each of us with a shrewd eye. Then she said, "Come along, then."

She led us into the back section of the building, where a row of humble cots lined the wall. Only one was occupied; a small girl slept soundly in the nearest corner.

The horseman laid Eda on the next empty cot. Straightening, he said, "I will leave you to your work." He handed the woman a couple of silver coins. "I thank you for your time."

Faèola glanced at the coins in her open palm. "You are most generous, my lord."

The horseman gave a short bow, then left the building.

Pocketing the coins, the woman turned to Eda. "What happened with this one?"

"She was shot," I replied. "In the side."

Faèola lifted the hem of Eda's shirt and unwound the bandage. She sucked a breath between her teeth and winced, then said, "I have to get this out immediately." She glanced up at me and said, "You'll find a set of screens over yonder. Fetch them for me, if you would."

I nodded and followed her instructions, quickly finding the screens. They were just rough linen squares bound to a wooden frame, but they would do their job. Grabbing them, I took them back to Eda's bed and set them up all around.

Already, Faèola had set up a work table and pulled out her equipment. My eyes rested on a long, curved knife with a narrow blade. Luckily, it seemed cleaner than anything else in the village. But the thought of it digging into Eda's flesh...and so close to her heart...

A hand touched my elbow. "Are you unwell?"

I turned to meet Faèola's concerned gaze. "I...no, I'm fine." I took a deep breath. "Do you need any help?"

Faèola smiled with kind amusement. "I have an assistant. You look as though you could use a stiff mug of ale."

I gave a single laugh under my breath. Ale, no. But Father's endless stores of Elven wine had never seemed so appealing. "I'll be alright," I replied.

She nodded, her expression full of understanding. "You are welcome to rest here, if you feel the need."

I bowed my head to her. "Thank you."

She patted my arm in a motherly way, then disappeared behind the screens.

I glanced at the unwelcoming cots. Truth be told, I was exhausted. Having carried Eda for a day and a night without sleep, then riding horseback for an afternoon had really drained my reserves. But with Eda's life hanging in the balance, I knew I would find no rest.

I turned and walked out of the building, hearing Boromir follow. Wanting nothing to do with the Man, I ignored him as I went out onto the streets.

At the far edge of the village, I came to a small, peaceful river. Glancing over my shoulder, I noticed Boromir was no longer following me, though I had caught the attention of several dirty-faced youngsters. At my attention, they giggled and ran away.