89. Actions, Reactions, Overreactions

Deadly silence filled the room as Thranduil stared at me in disbelief. Finally, he said, "You can't be serious."

"I am serious," I replied calmly. "Surely you expect him to marry politically, for the sake of the kingdom?"

Thranduil stood and began pacing with a renewed energy. "Of course...but his heart is wild." He clasped his hands behind his back, then unclasped them and crossed his arms over his chest.

"He will not obey you?" I challenged. I clutched my hands together to hide their shaking, desperately hoping I was approaching this the right way.

"Of course he will obey me!" Thranduil snapped. He sighed and let his arms fall to his sides, and he ran his fingers through his sleek hair. "I merely do not find it wise to overtly control him."

I paused to consider that. It would seem, under all the haughty bluster and fancy clothes, that Thranduil really did have a few things figured out. Of course, this made my task more difficult; I couldn't manipulate Thranduil by making him feel the need to prove himself. But...he would make a much better father-in-law than I'd assumed.

"What bothers you so much about a marriage alliance?" I asked quietly. "Is it me?"

Thranduil sighed and sat again, pouring himself a full glass of wine. "Partially," he admitted, and took a long draw from the glass. He rolled the liquid around in his mouth for a moment, then swallowed. "You are the lovechild of Tauriel and the Dwarf prince, are you not?"

I sighed and leaned forward, pouring myself a drink. I really needed to calm down. "Yes," I replied.

"I'm surprised your Court let you on the throne at all," he mused. "After all, the prejudice between our races runs both ways."

"Yes, well, it was either me or a puppet from the Iron Hills who's even stupider than I am." I took a sip, and winced at the bitterness. I quickly swallowed.

Thranduil snorted. "A predicament, indeed." He studied me closely. "But they accept your Elvish blood?"

"Tolerate would be more accurate. They remind me frequently. But they help me protect my right to the throne."

"You are fortunate." He took a sip of his wine. "I cannot speak for my son, but an alliance would, if nothing else, give my people a greater sense of stability."

I was afraid to hope. "You agree to the alliance?"

He met my gaze, his eyes serious. "Only if my son agrees. Willingly. I cannot promise that he will."

I took another sip, considering the next step, since Thranduil might reconsider his decision.

"If he does not," Thranduil said, "I assume you will not leave the key in my possession?"

"I cannot," I replied. "It would be a risk I could not justify."

He nodded. "Without a marriage, you cannot leave the key, and without the key there is no alliance. Everything unravels." He met my gaze. "But I still will not pressure my son into a loveless marriage. He deserves better." Thranduil focused on his wine, and took another swig.

I dipped my head in agreement. "He will decide."

Thranduil glanced up from his drink. "Perhaps, as a potential daughter-in-law, you would join us at our dinner party this evening? I'm sure Lachiel would like someone to compare dresses with." One of his eyebrows quirked upward.

I gave him a tight smile. "I may have something laying around, waiting to be tried."

He stood and set his wineglass on the table, then clasped his hands behind his back. "Go rest, Amariel. I will send a servant to fetch you this evening."