75. Off the Wall

A flash of silver swung over my head, and Haldir's sword beheaded the orc. I turned to face him, surprised. Another orc swung from behind.

"Haldir!" I screamed.

He turned a moment too late. The blade sank deep in his upper arm. With a pained yell, he swung his own sword and killed the orc.

Movement caught my eye. Another orc. Swinging at Haldir's neck.

In a crazy burst of adrenalin, I drew an arrow and fired. It struck the orc between the eyes, knocking it to the ground. Its sword harmlessly clattered to the stone.

"Come on!" I yelled to Haldir. He blinked at me, his expression shocked. I grabbed his arm and dragged him down the stairs. Together, we ran pell-mell for the Keep, dodging orcs. As we ascended the stairs, we passed bodies—too many of them human. I slipped in a pool of blood, Haldir barely catching me before I could fall.

I recognized the human boy it belonged to.

Feeling a little bit sick, I kept going, Haldir and I supporting each other. We finally reached the Keep, where a couple dozen men feverishly worked to brace the front gate. King Thèoden leaned against the wall, his arm in a sling, his expression devastated.

Haldir shakily sat down on the floor. His skin was clammy, and blood trickled over his broken armor. He needed medical assistence.

"King Thèoden," I said, "where is Èowyn?"

He looked at me for a long moment. Dread crawled up my spine. Had Èowyn fallen? But finally, he said, "She is there." He pointed over my shoulder.

I turned. Lady Èowyn strode toward us, her expression strained, but apparently unhurt. "Eda," she said, "have you seen Kèolyn?"

I shook my head. "I haven't seen her. Could you help Haldir? He's wounded."

She knelt beside Haldir and began removing the armguard. Haldir winced, but didn't resist.

A man parted from the group bracing the gate, and when he turned, I recognized it as Boromir. "Kèolyn is missing, you say?"

Èowyn's hands stilled, and she looked up at him. "Yes...she was well and at my side less than an hour ago, and now I cannot find her."

Boromir laid a hand on her shoulder. "I will find her, and I will bring her here."

Èowyn caught his hand. "Thank you," she whispered.

He nodded once, then strode away.

Èowyn gazed after him, and I shifted uncomfortably. "Um...no rush or anything...but Haldir's bleeding out."

"Oh...of course. I'm sorry." Èowyn returned to her work, baring his wounded arm. The gash was a nasty one, and bleeding too quickly to be safe. Èowyn sucked in a sharp breath, confirming my thoughts. "Do we have anything that could be used for a tournaquet?"

I pulled my braid over my shoulder and yanked out the leather string tying off the ends. "Here, will this work?"

"It'll have to," she answered, taking the string. She looped it around Haldir's arm, over the wound, and cinched it tight. Haldir grimaced, closing his eyes.

"Pull everyone back," Thèoden said in a defeated voice. His aide frowned worriedly, but Thèoden snapped, "Pull them back!"

The aide reluctantly turned to the others. "Fall back!"

A blow to the door makes the entire wall rumble.

I grabbed Haldir's good hand and pulled him up. "Come on, we're leaving."