70. Words Finally Spoken

I woke up to soft footsteps around the room.

Frowning, I groaned and rolled over. I must've kicked off my boots at some point...and my swords...where was my knife?!

I bolted up, and my ribs immediately protested.

"Easy," came Legolas's soft voice. "It's just me."

I opened my eyes, blinking away the gritty residue of dried tears. I shot Legolas a wary glance, and my eyes widened. His tunic was draped over the screen in the corner, leaving only a thin, sleeveless undertunic to cover his torso. He had a towel draped over his shoulder, and he was rubbing his water-darkened hair dry.

My mouth went dry. "I...Legolas? What are you doing here?"

"I came to check on you," he answered. "And—" he nodded at the tub, "I took a bath."

I blinked. Twice. "Let me see if I understand. You took a bath. With me in here."

"Yes." He shrugged. "I was dirty, there's a bathtub, and you were asleep. You could use a bath too!"

"Not with you in here!" I cried, crossing my arms over my chest defensively. Glaring at him, I added, "And since when were we on speaking terms?"

"Since there was something to speak about." Legolas sighed. "There has been for some time, and for my behavior of late...I am sorry."

"Are you?" I snapped.

"Yes," he replied in a slow, quiet tone, "I am." He pulled the towel off his shoulder, uncovering a necklace resting on his chest. The Evenstar.

I winced and looked away, tears welling up in my eyes. Aragorn was gone. Every reminder was like a piece of my chest being torn out. It hurt.

Legolas sat down next to me, not touching, but fairly close. Playing with the towel in his lap, he said, "When Gandalf left Edoras, he charged us—Aragorn, Gimli, and myself—to guard you, and take care of you. Gimli behaved only as expected; he reveres you, but does not consider your potential value to the enemy...and thus cannot fully protect you. And I was childish, leaving Aragorn to fulfill the task alone. Now that he is—" his own voice trailed off, burdened with grief. He sighed. "I find myself in a bad position, having treated you the way I did. Yet I am forced to remain with you, for your own safety, even though you likely hate the very sight of me."

The very sight of his bare arms and shoulders was unbelievably tempting...but I resisted. "You don't have to babysit me," I said, refusing to even glance at Legolas. "We're in Helm's Deep; we're safe."

"Perhaps," Legolas said. "But that is not a risk I can afford to take."

I huffed. "So what are you going to do, follow me everywhere?"

"Yes."

My eyes widened in fury. "And I suppose you expect me to bathe with you in the room, too!"

"Yes."

I couldn't find a comeback or an insult grand enough for this complete stupidity.

Legolas sighed. "Eda, you know me; I wouldn't look."

"Of course not," I muttered sarcastically.

He caught my gaze, and his blue eyes showed concern, and sadness. "You don't trust me," he murmured.

I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out. It was true; I didn't.

He nodded understandingly, and walked over to the screen, draping his towel off the side and taking his tunic down. He pulled that on and buttoned it up, then he snagged his weapons. "I will be just outside, if you need anything."