72. The Galadriel Factor

Legolas's POV

I came out into the courtyard, where Men of all ages were walking, presumably to the armory. Almost all of them were either very aged, or not yet old enough to be considered men. And they all looked terrified.

The group was too thick for me to try and cross through, so I stood in the doorway and waited for them to pass. Suddenly a woman yelled at the back of the group.

"Èolir! Èolir, stop!"

Kèolyn wove through the crowd, moving toward the only stationary person in the courtyard. Her brother. His young face was frightened, but resigned. His sister's expression was not resigned. It was terrified.

"Èolir, come back with me," she pleaded, drawing closer. "Mama needs you. I need you."

One of the Men—who I recognized as Thèoden's aide—came to stand beside Èolir. Placing his hand on the boy's shoulder, he said to Kèolyn, "I must have you return to the caves, miss. It isn't safe out here."

"Safe, my ass," she snapped. Murmurs of her uncouth behavior began circulating, but Kèolyn wasn't finished talking. "Èolir, you know you're too young. You can't even plow the field without hurting yourself!"

"Miss!" The aide interrupted harshly. Keeping his hand on Èolir's shoulder, he stepped between them, holding his hand out to stop Kèolyn's approach. "I must ask you, again, to return to the caves."

Kèolyn stopped in front of the aide and shifted her weight to one foot, cocking her hip and crossing her arms. "And I must ask you, sir, to stand down."

When he didn't move, Kèolyn swung.

The aide dodged her fist—barely—but the backswing from her elbow hit him square in the mouth. He staggered to the side, blood trickling from his lip. Momentarily stunned, he stared at her, wide-eyed.

Kèolyn took her brother by the arm. "Come, Èolir."

The aide grabbed Kèolyn's shoulder, and not gently. "Look around you," he hissed, his tone quiet enough that only she—and I—could hear. "These men, they are our only defense. We are about to be overrun with orcs. Our only chance at survival is to fight."

"He is too young!" Kèolyn hissed back.

"Yes!" the aide snapped. "Most of us are! What would you have us do? Be overrun without fighting? The Riders are far from here, and we have no allies. No, my lady, we will fight with whatever we have. And in your attempts to keep him safe, you are endangering all that remains of our people. Including your brother."

The first hint of tears sparkled in Kèolyn's eyes, but she blinked them back. Gathering her skirts, she said in an even tone, "Take me to the armory. I will fight for Rohan, as well."

A shocked silence fell over the group of Men. The aide opened and closed his mouth twice before finally stuttering, "You...you cannot fight...your skirts would surely hinder you."

"Then give me trousers," came Kèolyn's reply with an unamused eye roll.

"It would be shameful!" the aide exclaimed.

Kèolyn just looked at the Man, waiting for survival to win out over propriety. Finally, the aide said, "Come with us, lass. We'll get you fitted up with some armor."

Kèolyn put an arm around her brother, and together, followed by the other Men, they continued to the armory.

"She is brave, is she not?"

I startled and glanced around. "My lady Galadriel. This is...unexpected."

"Indeed. I had hoped not to resort to speaking with you thus. I had hoped your courage would not fail you."