98. Strategies and Their Perils

Boromir startled away from Èowyn, but when he saw me, he froze. "Eda?" he hissed.

Èowyn, wearing a full battle suit, darted to me and wrapped me in a tight hug. "It's so good to see you! How are you faring?"

I grinned and hug her back. "Quite well, I'm a queen now, so that's interesting."

She pulled back and appraised me with raised eyebrows. "Oh...forgive me Your Majesty."

I shook my head. "None of that nonsense from you please, unless you're secretly a Dwarf or an Elf."

Her eyes twinkled. "So what's it like, being a queen?"

Boromir cleared his throat. "Excuse me ladies—Eda, what are you doing here?"

Putting my hands on my hips, I said, "I'm here to talk to you, actually. What the Mordor is going on here?"

He shifted uncomfortably. "The Fellowship isn't popular right now, Eda...you may not even be safe here."

I straightened to my full, albeit limited height. "Much has changed since last we met, Boromir. I am not only Queen of Erebor, but allied with the Woodland Realm. If any person so much as raised a finger against me, I assure you neither kingdom would view that violation with benevolence."

Faramir's eyes widened. "Boromir...she brought an army. Elves and Dwarves, lots of them."

Boromir's throat twitched. "Point taken. What is it that you want?"

I smiled and motioned down the hall. "I want you to tell your father that things have changed. The allies of Isildur's heir have arrived, and we don't have time to squabble over his legitimacy. Denethor will bestow the rulership onto Aragorn, or Denethor will be crushed."

Boromir and Faramir stared at me, openmouthed.

I made a shooing motion. "That would mean now. Run along."

Boromir sighed and spun to walk down the wide hallway.

Deciding it would probably be best not to show myself to Denethor just yet, I said, "I will return to my friends now. You'll hear from us shortly." I turned and walked away, heading back down the long, winding path.

The late afternoon sun threw strange shadows across the street, and I startled a couple of times for no reason. Therefore, when Gandalf stepped from behind a corner in front of me, I barely choked back a scream.

"Amariel." He put his arms around me in a hug, though I was about half his height. Pulling back, he appraised me with his wizened eyes. "It's good to see you."

As my heart remembered to beat, I smiled. "You as well, Gandalf."

He patted my shoulder. "Come. There are many who wish to see you."

I followed him down a narrow back street. "Did Legolas find you?"

Gandalf chuckled. "I found him, much as I found you. He knows the way, and is bringing King Thranduil in to parley with us."

We walked to a large storehouse and went through a small wooden door. Inside was dark, and smelled of dust and mold. Stacked crates formed a maze, which Gandalf deftly led me through to the center. Aragorn sat on a crate, chewing his unlit pipe. Gimli paced back and forth, axe in hand. The Hobbit rascals huddled close to each other, whispering.

When they noticed us, Gimli braced his feet and raised his axe. Aragorn tensed and reached for his sword. The Hobbits shrank back. And then they recognized me.

"Eda!" Gimli bellowed, spreading his arms wide. "Ye Most Gracious Highness! Good to see yeh!"

"Oh shush," I chided with a giggle.