Chapter 8

Wren's POV

I'm so glad Cameron got along with my parents. I really I am. But I'm worried that they might be happier with Cameron than I am. 

It's been 3 days since he met my family and that aspect of our relationship has never been better. But during the last 3 days, I've also been trying to figure out how I'm going to get to know Sam. Cameron doesn't think that associating myself with Sam is a good idea and he never misses an opportunity to tell me so.

We were in my dorm room. Again. It seemed like we were always there. I was on my laptop, trying to find any information I could on Sam Blanchard that might help me. Cameron was sitting on my bed, staring at what used to be Tessa's side of the room.

After the funeral, Tessa's parents had come to the dorm to clean all her stuff out. The walls were now bare and the bed was just a plastic covered mattress. 

I ignored Cameron's odd behaviour and continued my internet search on Sam Blanchard. So far, he was nothing but a typical guy. No criminal record. No weird things associated with his name. All I found was that he attended high school in a small town that was around 2 hours from here and his dad owned a popular shooting range. Not much for me to go on.

I was writing down the information I found on a spare piece of paper. I was focused. Really focused. My mind raced to think about any possible scenario that Sam could have been apart of. 

Cameron continued to stare at the deserted space across the room as though someone was there, staring back at him. He was silent and when he spoke, he spoke with intensity and purpose.

"Wren I really don't want you to see Sam again."

"It's not really your decision to make", I replied, feeling an argument coming on.

"Why is it that the decision is always yours?", he asked. "We're a couple. We're supposed to make decisions that affect the both of us together."

"But this doesn't affect you, Cameron. It has nothing to do with you."

"It has everything to do with me! What if he is dangerous? What if he lashes out at you? What if he hurts you? Or worse.... I couldn't live if I lost you."

"I'll be fine."

"You don't know that."

"I know a lot of things."

"Yeah? If you knew so much you would realize how your little 'investigation' affects our relationship."

"Cameron, stop this. You know how I am. You know that I need to do this. Why do you keep trying to stop me?"

"It might be hard to believe, but I'm trying to keep you from getting hurt."

I was angry now. How could he not realize the severity of this case? "I don't need you to protect me!", I yelled as I stood up from my chair. "I can take care of myself. I don't need you to be my overprotective bodyguard!"

"Wren, I'm not trying to-"

"I don't care about your excuses. If anyone should understand my reasoning for taking this case, it's you. And if you don't, then there's nothing I can do about it. That's your problem. You don't need to inflict it on me. God knows we have enough problems."

Cameron paused. It was a really long pause full of awkward silence and undeniable tension. I began to think that maybe I went to far. Maybe I crossed the line. 

Before I could say anything, Cameron took a step toward me so that we were arms length apart. 

"Wren", he breathed. "I love you. I do. And I'm here for you whenever you need anything. But you never need anything. You never need me."

"Cameron, I-"

"And I don't think I can do this anymore", he said quietly. Cameron closed the gap between us and planted a soft kiss on my forehead. 

"Take care of yourself, Wren."

He left the room without another word. I didn't try to stop him. I probably should have but the feeling I had was so unbearable I could hardly breathe. 

So that's what a broken heart feels like. 

****************

Hey readers,

I hope you liked this chapter. I know it was a bit shorter than some of the other ones, but this one is kind of a heartbreaker. 

Just want you guys to know that after this story is over, I might be writing a Nick Robinson fan fiction. Emphasis on might. I'll have see but I think it would be really fun to write one. I'll keep you posted on that.

Thanks for reading guys! Hope you have a great weekend. Comments & votes appreciated.

That_Epiphany