Chapter 11

Wren's POV

A knock on my dorm room door woke me up. I looked at the clock which said 4:38 pm. Why was I sleeping at 4:38 pm?

 I looked around me to see my laptop open with my criminology essay on the screen. I was surrounded by notes and textbooks. Then I remembered I had been writing an extra credit essay for Professor Roth.

I quickly got up to answer the door. Maybe it was Cameron. I pulled the door open and the person standing on the other side wasn't Cameron. It was just Stacey.

"Hey", I said as I gestured for her to come in.

"Hi", she said.

"So did you get the crime report?", I asked. I had asked Stacey to get the crime report of Tessa's death for me like she had once before. 

"Oh, yeah. I did." She handed over a familiar manilla folder with the name Tessa Winters written in the top corner. 

I opened it and scanned the paper. Near the bottom of the page was the make and model of the gun found in Tessa's hand. 

I went to my desk and searched under the stack of paper and textbooks to find the post-it note with the model I had gotten from the gun specialist. 

Once I found it, I grabbed the crime report and compared the letters and numbers to see if they were a match. Sure enough, they were. 

Excitement coursed through me and I knew that I was 1 step closer to finding the killer. All arrows were pointing to Sam. 

"Thank you Stacey!", I said. 

"You found what you needed?"

"Definitely."

The next step was to trace both guns back to the shooting range that Sam's dad owned. I quickly snapped a picture of the crime report so Stacey could take the original back.

"Hey Stacey", I said. "Just out of curiosity, how did you get the crime report? That stuff isn't open to the public."

"My dad works at the police station. Let's just say he leaves his keys unattended a lot", she said with a wink. 

+ + + + + + + + + +

After Stacey left, I got to work on examining Sam's gun to see if there was anything unusual about it. 

Let's be honest, I knew nothing about guns so I hardly knew where to start. 

I decided to start by just examining appearance. I turned the gun over and over in my hands while glancing at the picture of the gun from the crime report on my phone. 

10 minutes

Nothing. At all. This gun was perfectly normal. 

20 minutes

I was frustrated now. I turned the gun over in my hand one last time and then set it on the floor. That was it for today. That was it for hands-on gun examination at least. 

I decided to go on the shooting range's website. It wasn't hard to find. The shooting range was called the Wild West Shooting Range and their logo was a little cowboy. Their website didn't provide me with much information until I came across a tab that had Inventory on it.

When I clicked the tab, a new page came up with a description of what the information on this page was.

Welcome to the Wild West Shooting Range! Here at Wild West, we have a wide variety of guns for you to use. Everything from your favourite type of handgun to the rifle you didn't even know existed. Here is a list of all our makes and models. 

The list was long. It seemed like they had every kind of gun imaginable. I scrolled and scrolled, looking for the model of the 2 guns in question. 

After I'd been scrolling for a while, I finally found it. Beside the model was the inventory number.

Inventory: 2

I had noticed that they had 4 or more of every other kind of gun on the list. That seemed odd to me... I'd just have to confirm. 

On the homepage of the website, there was a list of contact information. The facility's number was at the top with a caption that said 'Call us any time!'.

I dialled the number and thought of an approach to take with this call. People would be suspicious if an 18 year old girl was calling a shooting range. I decided to pretend to be an older woman who was calling for her husband. That was simple enough.

"Wild West Shooting Range, how may I help you?", said the person on the other end of the line.

"Hi", I said. "I'm calling for my husband. He wants to take a group of his friends up to your shooting range this weekend, but they would like to use a specific kind of gun. He is just concerned that you don't have enough of that gun."

"What kind of gun are you asking about?", the guy asked. I read out the model and waited for him to speak again.

"We only have 2 of those guns right now", he answered.

"Yes, that's what your website said. I couldn't help but notice that though, that the inventory number was higher for every other gun."

"Yeah, we had 2 of this specific gun stolen a while back."

Stolen? Bingo.

"Oh what a shame. I'll be sure to tell my husband. Thank you for all your help, bye now."

I quickly hung up. The shooting range was missing 2 of their guns and here I was holding one and looking at a picture of the other. 

I looked down at the gun on the floor and something caught my eye. Maybe it was the way that the light was hitting it, or I was looking at it with a fresh perspective. I picked it up and looked closer. 

"Oh my god", I whispered. 

On the gun under the trigger was a small picture of a cowboy with the letters W.W. engraved underneath it. The picture was so worn that at first glance you wouldn't notice it. 

Excited, I pulled up the picture of the crime scene gun on my phone and zoomed in. Sure enough, a little cowboy appeared. 

*******************

Hey readers,

Sorry this one had no Cameron in it. I'm getting to the good part though so don't worry! Thanks for reading. Comments and votes appreciated!

That_Epiphany 

P.S. Shoutout to my 2 new followers SammieR5er1229 and JoeyGawaran ==>Thanks guys!