Chapter 14

1 week later

Wren's POV

I walked through the hospital doors into the fresh air for the first time in a week. It was amazing.

The breeze softly hit my bare legs and blew my hair away from my face. I breathed in the fresh air and basked in the sun for a second before I made my way to Lucas' car. 

In my arms I carried a bouquet of yellow tulips that Halley brought when she visited me. My family came everyday to see me after I'd been stabbed. It was the closest we'd been in a long time and it was perfect despite the circumstances. 

I still felt flashes of pain in my side and the image of Sam running at me raced through my mind often. He even made his way into my dreams at night and I would wake up in a cold sweat. 

Nothing a little time and patience couldn't fix though. I refused to see a therapist about this. I didn't want to retell the story over and over again. To me, that would make it worse.

When I approached Lucas' car, he jumped out of the driver's seat and walked around the car. He gave me a concerned hug before he proceeded to open the car door for me.

"How are you?", he asked.

"Lucas, you've asked me the same question every day since it happened", I said in a voice that was more harsh than I intended it to be.

"I'm just worried about you", he said quietly.

"You don't need to be. Sam is going to be locked away for this. He won't hurt me or anyone else ever again."

"I hope so...", Lucas muttered.

"What do you mean you 'hope so'? It'll happen", I assured him.

"Well he'll get in trouble for attacking you but apparently he's gotten the best lawyers money can buy", Lucas explained. "And besides, they don't have proof that Sam killed Tessa."

"I could help with that", I mumbled.

"It's not your place. You need to try and let this go."

+ + + + + + + + + +

My dorm room had been cleaned thoroughly while I was away. I was grateful. Seeing the stain from my own blood on the carpet probably wouldn't help with the healing process.

The room was spotless now. All evidence of any violence had been wiped away with extra strength cleaning product.

 But for some reason the room would never be truly clean to me. It was tainted. Bad things had gone on here. I definitely wasn't looking forward to spending a night in here alone.

Before I could get myself settled, someone knocked on the door. I went to answer it, completely unsure of who I would see on the other side.

I opened the door but I didn't recognize the woman standing there. She looked professional in her navy blue pant suit and black cropped hair. Her pale face was fierce and the bright red lipstick only added to it. 

"Hello there, are you Wren Morrow?", she asked in a voice that was low and unsettling.

"Yeah, I am. Who are you?", I asked.

"My name is Regina James. I am the lawyer who is representing Tessa Winters' family in court."

"Oh... well what do you want?", I asked rather harshly.

"I just need to confirm some things. Is it okay if I ask you a few questions?"

"Umm yeah... that would be okay", I said as I gestured for her to come in. I was grateful for some company. Even if it was someone who would want to hear my story.