Matt Shadows Ch 18

I sat beside Matt at the cafeteria table eating what ever he put on my plate without really seeing it. "Britt, it's been a long day.. let me take you home.." 

"No.. I want to see Gwen first." I said wiping the tears from my cheeks..He sighed beside me rubbing circles across my back. I would be so happy right now if Gwen wasn't upstairs in a hospital room.. no one would tell us what was wrong.. or let us see her.. 

"They would call whenever there is a change." Matt said wiping at my cheek. 

I shook my head. "They won't tell us now.. what am I supposed to do?.. If she needs me I want to be here." I said pleading.. I wanted him to understand how I was feeling.. the guilt that tormented me.. I had brought Mark into their lives and ruined everything..

"Then at least try to get some sleep." He said smiling sadly at me. I looked at him feeling so close to him.. wanting everything to just be right again.. 

"Alright." I said setting my fork down, he tossed our trays then grabbed my hand helping me up. There was a special waiting room with a tv, child's center, and large plush chairs filling one wall. Matt lead me to a chair and sat down next to me.. I leaned my cheek against his chest as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder..

" I love you Britt." He said softly against my hair. It felt like we had never been apart..

"I love you too Matt.." I said closing my eyes tightly.. I was tired.. I let Matt's warmth and steady heartbeat lull me to sleep...

***

I walked down the white hallway feeling the dread of what I'd see when I reached the end.. Where was Matt?.. I followed the pain filled screams until I saw a bed covered in blood.. My heart raced as I ran.. slowly.. across the room..

I felt the tears filling my eyes as I looked down at Gwen.. she was crying.. looking down at a silent baby in her arms.. it was covered in blood..I wanted to throw up.. I wanted to cry.. I wanted to.. Gwen glared at me.. "THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" She yelled her voice was filled with pain and contempt..

I felt the tears fill my eyes.. I had made her lose her baby.. "Gwen.. I'm so sorry!" the pain of those words hurt..deeply..

"JUST STAY AWAY FROM ME!" She held her baby tighter pointing to the door.. her hand was covered in blood.. her gown was stained red..I gagged as Synyster walked over to me grabbing my shoulders.. his eyes filled with hatred..

"I'm so sorry.."I whispered.. He started shaking me.. 

***

"Wake up Britt.. They want us to see her." Matt said softly shaking my arm. I opened my eyes blinking several times then focusing on Matt with a male nurse dressed in green scrubs. My heart was pounding a hundred miles an hour as I wiped away the tears.. it had been a dream.. 

"Is she..we can see her?" My voice was thick with sleep as I felt his hand grab mine..