Chapter 5: Nonexistent

♚Mr. Arrowman
Written: 9/18/15

  "How is she doing?" I ask concernedly while I plodded into the hospital room.

Steve glanced up from watching the girl we had saved from HYDRA.

"I don't know to be honest," he sighed rubbing his eyes from exhaustion. "The doctors say she will make it, but I'm not sure. She placed a lot of strain on her arm."

I nod, barely hearing what Steve was saying. All I was think about was her. I had saved her in the battle of New York. She had used my bow that no one knew how to operate. She panicked at the sight of SHIELD. Who is she? Is she an assassin?

My train of thought is broken when a man with an eye patch barges through the door, clearly upset. Steve jumps to attention as I tighten. Mr. Eye patch was also know as, Nick Fury. Director of SHIELD, the spy and the dude with the eye patch. Never less, he is powerful and knows how to keep a cool head.

  "Sir, do you have any information about the girl?" Steve asks in a careful tone.

  Nick turns towards me, his one eye boring into my skull. It takes all my training as an assassin to not crack under the fierce stare.

  "How do you know her?" Nick demands, totally ignoring Steve's question.

  "I saved her in the battle of New York. That's all. Nothing more or less! Do you-" I'm cut short by Steve as he interrupts intent on finding out who this girl is.

  "Look, I don't know how he knows her, but the important matter is to know who she is!" Steve exclaimed worriedly.

  Nick turned to him and sighed. He paced a few steps contemplating if he should tell us. Finally, he whirled around to face us, his face tightened as though from pain.

  "Let me be clear," he says abruptly, "That I will not sugarcoat the truth. I will tell you up front." He pauses staring at me and continues, "We have no files whatsoever on her. According to our files, she is nonexistent."

  My mouth drops to the floor. 'No files. No files AT ALL?!' I worriedly ask myself.

  Steve blurts out, "Sir, are you sure? NO files whatsoever? No information on her? No criminal record? Nothing?"

  Nick walks over to her bedside and stares at her before answering Steve. "All we know is that her name is Cayden and she is an orphan. We have reason to believe that she is an assassin."

"No family at all? No last name?" Steve asks. I see him looking lovingly at 'Cayden' on the bed. I feel a twinge of jealousy in my gut, but I shake it off. (See what I did?) I don't really know her. I can't be liking her without knowing her........but damn. She is so beautiful! Her curves, her face, her hair, everything screams beauty.

"Correct, Captain." Nick replies snapping me out of my dreaming stupor. His face hardens as though trying to block out pain. "Barton, we need you to tail her when she is released from the hospital. Once she is away, assassinate her."

  My jaw dropped as I stared at Nick, his face etched with worry lines.

  I shake off the feeling that he's hiding something as I rant. "Assassinate her?! Why?! We barely know her!! She may not be an assassin at all!! She could be a perfectly normal girl!! We can't just assume something and go off killing people on a whim. I thought you were better than that, Fury!" 

  Fury, cold as the planet Hoth, tells me, "She used your bow, Clint! No one in the world can manipulate bow except you! She must be a rouge mutant. We can't have rouges running around the city, can we? We don't have any files on her so that means she's a threat. A threat that needs to be taken down!"

  "Clint, this time, I have to agree with Fury. She used your bow! No one can use it except you. She is probably an assassin that needs to be taken care of!" Steve tells me his face hardening into a mask after what Fury had said about Cayden.

  "No." I saw quietly knowing that this may be the end of my job. "No, I will not kill her."

Nick turns towards me his eyebrows raised. I have never turned down an order. I had always followed orders to the letter, not letting anyone stop me.

  "Did you just say no Barton?" Nick asks his tone dangerously calm.

  I suck in a breath and continue, "Yes, I said no. I won't kill her until I know more about her!"

  Nick paces the room again deep in thought. He turns towards Steve and has a whispered conversation with him.

  'Crap, I'm done for!' I think worriedly. 'I should have said yes!'

  Nick finishes his conversation with Steve and turns to face me.

  I suck in a breath as Nick tells me, "That is fine, Barton."

  My face must have conveyed my surprise because Steve stifled a laugh. 

  "It's ok?" I ask in surprise at his answer. He never changes his plan. He holds on it for dear life and won't listen to anyone.

  "Yes, Barton. It is ok, but we need you to kidnap her and bring her in for questioning." Nick replies smoothly. "We have reason to believe she will get away, so I am assigning you and Steve to kidnap her if she gets away."

  I let out a low sigh. That will be easy. She can't cause much trouble............can she?
___________________________

  "PATIENT IS ESCAPING! CODE BLUE!" The alarm blares. I curse, and run outside ready to stop her. When she gets outside, I prep my bow ready to shoot if necessary. 

"I don't think your going anywhere, love." I say as I step into her line of vision. I'm momentarily stunned at her beauty. The sun reflecting off her black hair. Her beautiful green eyes staring to mine. Her curves at-

  I am cut off as she says sarcastically, "Well, I think I am."

  She starts to run for a car and i mentally groan. Here we go. I let my arrow fly, but she rolls away.

'Hmmmmmmm,'  I ponder as I advance on her. 'She dodged that with ease. She must be trained. By who thought?'

Suddenly, three gun shots ring out and I jump to avoid them.

"So that's how it's going to be, beautiful!" I joke.

She jumps into a car window and I let another arrow fly. She dodges it with ease and races out of the parking lot.

"Oh shit." I mutter. "I'm done for!"