Chapter 8: What Just Happened?

Cayden
Written: 9/25/15

(A/N-The picture has NOTHING to do with the chapter, but I thought it was hilarious so I wanted to show you. What do you think of it? Everyone is like all tough and Tony is just like....SHAWARMA! 😂 Ok, now to the story.)

What does it feel like when all hell breaks loose? It feels like the avengers yelling at the top of their lung at each other, Patchy and me. It's like watching a nuke explode. It's calm, then all of a sudden...BOOM! It catches you off guard. I guess I set off the nuke. 'I thought they would react like this.' I sigh to myself. While I watch this scene play out, I hear snippets of the arguments.

"YOU ARE RELATED TO NICK?!"
"NICK! YOU NEVER SAID YOU HAD LIVING FAMILY!"
"SHE'S LYING TO GET OUR ATTENTION OFF WHAT SHE DID!"
"HOW IS SHE RELATED TO YOU?! SHE'S HOT AND YOU'RE UGLY!!"
"SHE'S JUST... THAT'S MESSED UP!!"
"I HAVE FAMILY! WHO GIVES A DAMN?!"

  I watch this slamdown, and grumble. This was just terrific. They had this to deal with, my broken past and.........other things no one knows, except two people. If they call in that person, I'm screwed. While I watch them rage, I hold back a smirk. They never knew Patchy's past, and they weren't about to find out mine. The could not, and would not find out. Suddenly, the feeling of a memory attack hits me hard.

You know when you drop down the first hill on a roller coaster? The feeling in the pit of your stomach? Well, that's how it feels. It starts in my stomach, slowly creeping up my body until it comes to my head. It travels down to my eyes, and unless I can push it down, I'm enveloped with the memories in a vision, and I can't do a thing. All I can do is wait for the memory attack to finish, and hope that nothing horrible happened.

  While the yelling continues, the feeling starts to creep up my body. I try and block out the distractions and push it away. I imagine myself creating a barricade around my mind, locking my mind away and out of reach of the painful memories. I grit my teeth concentrating on strengthening the barrier, but I can't take it anymore. All this childish behavior isn't helping me at all.

I finally stand up at yell at them, "JUST SHUT UP, STOP ACTING LIKE BABIES AND LISTEN!!" The room abruptly quiets while I receive stares of hesitancy and annoyance. I take a breath and continue with an edge, "Yes, I am related to Nick, but I don't care. So what if he's my uncle? What does that matter? My family doesn't define me. My abusive father doesn't define me." I slump back into my chair as they stare at me, their faces a mixture of shock and worry. I, on the other hand, am panicking. I had told them my past, my memories. Even thought it was only one part, I had broken my promise. I had swore to never to tell anyone my past.

I start to shake with the realization and the horror. They can't and never will know. Suddenly, the pain of the memory attack breaks through my barricade. It enters my mind, searching for a way to remind me of the horror story. I close my eyes and rock back and forth as darkness starts to invade my eyesight.

"No!" I scream shaking violently. "No! Get out of my head!" While the pain grows and I shake, the avengers rush over to me.

  "What's going on?!" I hear bird man demand worriedly. I see him out of the corner of my rapidly failing eyesight while he holds my hand and rubs it.

"I don't know!!" Green Machine panics checking my pulse and my other vitals. "It's not a seizure, but I've never seen the likes of it before!"

  "You don't know what's happening?!" Spangles rages.

  At that point, the pain is too great so I finally succumb, slipping into the world of memories.

I slowly toddled into the living room, next to the kitchen, were I heard the voices. I wanted to eavesdrop, knowing what was going on. Even as my 3 year old self, I was curious.