Chapter 2: Winter Fears

Thinking back to my past, everything is explained. Even if it meant seeing the bad side of you. 
-Winter Ozlin's diary

The classes were all exactly as I remembered them to be. They were dreadful. Boring teachers spoke about boring subjects. Nothing about this school was entertaining. The only reason why I went here was because my entire family went here, and with my parents I felt that I owed to them to continue the legacy.

All I could think about was crawling into my bed and falling asleep, unfortunately I had a meeting with the deans. Slowly, I dragged myself to their office. Each step proved harder than the first. To make walking even worse, somebody ran into me.

"Watch it," I mumbled and tried to move out of the impact.

"You ran into me," he murmured back and adjusted his black jacket. His tall body towered over me.

"Excuse me?" I sneered and crossed my arms. His blue eyes stared into me. If I wasn't mad at him, I may have flirted with him.

"You were looking down, and then you walked into me." He shrugged and then waved his tan hand. "Look, don't worry. Everybody makes mistakes."

My eyes narrowed at him. "If you were looking where you were going, then why didn't you move out of my way?" Surely if he saw me walking straight for him he would've moved off to the side to avoid a collision.

"Look, the hallway doesn't revolve around you," he said simply and then tugged his black backpack tighter. "Be careful. The hallway is a dangerous place." The boy laughed and then strolled passed me.

"Dick," I mumbled and then headed further down the hall to my appointment. The incident in the hall had probably just cost me a good five minutes.

"Heard that!" The mysterious boy shouted back. My body winced, but honestly I didn't care that he heard, because it was true.

. . .

My dorm looked exactly the same. Nothing had changed. My bathroom was still to the left of the door, and my bed was still pressed up against the high windows. Outside my window was the school. I could see the people crowding around the library door. It had been awhile since I'd seen those people. Penelope Fesner was talking to Winston Randen. Penelope wore her usual purple glasses and Winston carried his red backpack. I remembered when Taylor and Emma came over one time to make fun of them with me. It seemed so sick now. Why would I ever make fun of people I didn't even know? I barely talked to them, but when I did I was picking on them. I was a bitch. Everyone knew that, except me. Now I realized it, and I was ready change. Winter Ozlin was back, and she was ready to be a better person.

"God, it's been forever," a voice sighed behind me. I turned around to see Austin Hemsway leaning against my door.

"Austin," I whispered. My knees were about to give. His perfect features have never been so perfect. His brown hair ran across his forehead, and his dark brown eyes stared into me.

Austin smiled with his beautiful white teeth and crossed my room to me. "I've missed you so much," he said and wrapped his large arms around my tiny shoulders. His warmth spread through me and my toes began to tingle. Last time I had one of these hugs I was saying goodbye to Austin. Now I was saying hello, and it felt better than ever.

"Where have you been?" I said as I nuzzled into his shoulder. During my meltdown, I lost contact with everyone back at Brinston Prep School. I figured somebody would try to come and see me or call me, but nobody did.