Chapter 24: Winter's Revenge

IGNORE ALL ERRORS 

Chapter 24: Winter's Revenge 

Penny told me to stop being so dramatic and to give it a rest, but I was not going to do that. The Rafter was coming up for the month, and I was using that as my chance. Austin was once again participating in the event, even though I asked him not to. Although, he had been playing in every one since school started, so it was hard to say no. I still refused to act in the event, but I did say that I would go and watch from the crowd. And then, I came up with the perfect plan to show Jace exactly who I was. 

The morning of the Rafter, I rolled from my bed with excitement. My phone buzzed with people telling me final arrangements. It was early in the morning and I was surprised at how many people were up and preparing. However, I didn't need many people for what I planned to do. It just happened that everyone wanted to be involved. 

"Winter?" Austin shouted from outside my room and knocked on the door. I quickly opened the door and scooted over to my vanity. "Hey babe." He smiled and pecked my cheek. I smiled at him. It was so strange seeing him act like a gentleman again. He wore a red shirt, which was a must for his team. His team consisted of Brett and Kurt and a newbie, John. 

"Is your team all set?" I asked, powdering my cheeks. My skin was finally starting to darken like it was supposed to. I was Native American. Weren't they supposed to be tan? It seemed as if I got the short stick, being stuck pale. My brother had a soft golden color, and once again I became the odd one out in my family. 

"Yup." Austin nodded, taking a seat on my unmade bed. "I'm not supposed to know this, but the theme this month is boot camp." 

"You'll do perfect then," I said. I continued to do my makeup, switching to eyeliner. "Will they make you pick another person from the crowd?" 

"Hopefully," Austin grumbled. He was barely looking at me, too busy texting away on the phone. "I mean the girls team has five and we have only four. I'll tell them I didn't know it was a five person team and ask to pick a random." 

"Sounds perfect." I smiled, genuinely, even though he wasn't paying attention. He was probably texting buddies of his, making sure everything ran smoothly. My friends and I had a way of working the school in our advantage, so I wasn't too worried. The only thing I was worried about was whether or not Jace would even show. "Let's just hope Brett doesn't screw it up," I hissed, completing changing gears. 

"Have a little faith, babe." Austin eye rolled. "Brett isn't an idiot." 

"Yeah, well tell me that when he stares at something other than my ass." 

"I'll see you there. The team and I have to show up early," Austin said, shaking his head. I rolled my eyes now. Our relationship went from hot to cold, but that was normal for us. After the Rafter we would be hugging and kissing and celebrating. 

"Whatever," I scoffed, but we didn't forget kissing one another good bye before he took off.

. . . 

When I stepped outside of the dorm room, my red lip stick was on. The sharp air hurt my exposed cheeks, but I was quick to wrap a scarf around it to keep from the wind. As I stepped from the building, I noticed Winston, Penny and Naija standing in front of the library in their uniforms. I smiled and waved my hand, but they didn't return the gesture. Winston danced from foot to foot, appearing to be uncomfortable or cold. Naija was huddled under Penny's arm, keeping from the cutting wind. 

"Hey guys," I called as I ventured their way. Winston stopped jumping and shook in place. Naija stiffened up, while Penny remained the same. Nobody answered. "What's up?"