Chapter 25: Winter's Revenge Continued

IGNOER ALL ERRORS

Chapter 25: Winter's Revenge Continued 

"I'm sorry, Jace!" I shouted after him as he was dragged to the field. Austin smiled from the center, but made sure to avoid eye contact with me. Jace had to be completely clueless. Although, he had to know that something was going on. The whole crowd cheered as he joined the other four boys. Brett nudged him and whispered into his ear. Jace only glared back, staring at the bleachers. His eyes meant mine, and my stomach twist. 

It had been a while since I pulled something this big. Before my parents died, I was the queen of all that. Austin attacked kids until they cried. I screamed at kids until they cried. It was how our relationship worked. At the end of the day, we would go on and on about the kids we made squirm. Taylor always tried to one up me, but whenever she did she would be glared at from all and ignored until the next day. Those used to be my prime days, but once I learned about the car crash, my life broke apart slowly, bit by bit, and suddenly making kids pee their pants no longer gave me satisfaction. But Jace was an exception, for he made me bleed until I had nothing left. He made my skin crawl. He made me look like a fool, and even though I didn't want to be Queen Bitch, or at least I didn't think I did, I did not want to be made into a fool. 

"Alright, well then, without further ado let the Rafter begin!" Katelyn cried into the microphone. On the other side of the field I saw all the teachers. It was odd. I never remembered them attending the Rafter. I was always caught up in hating the event that I forgot they were an actual school organized occasion, even if the students controlled all aspects of it. 

"The Rafter this month will be boot camp!" Katelyn screamed. The speakers around the stands shook. The crowd roared. The bleachers vibrated. I took my seat in front in order to get a good view, sliding my book into my backpack. Things were about to get good, but my stomach still churned. "First, the contestants will venture across the mud pile, climb over the wall, and then slid across the rope to the finish line. The first team with all members across the finish line will win this round." Katelyn flipped her ponytail, which kept attacking her face due to the wind. Her uniform blew up as she spun around, and Austin's team snickered at this. I even laughed, but then quickly wiped any happiness from my face. Jace had to believe I was sad and hurt, and for him, I almost was. 

"There will be three rounds," Katelyn continued, as she walked across the field to the podium. Next to the podium was a stand, which showed the winners of each Rafter. The event still made me gag. It was stupid, but it did make for good revenge. "Will the teams please head to the starting line?" The teams were already walking over to the mud. Austin spoke to John as they walked, and Brett constantly tried to comment as well, but every time he spoke Austin would swing around and hit him in the stomach. Jace traveled alone, almost leading the girls team. His polished shoes scuffed, and I felt a ping of regret because he was wearing his uniform. The uniform was about to get ruined, but I was sure that was going to be the least of his problems.

"Teams, take your start!" Katelyn shouted and practically jumped from her stand. Finally, she put up a hood to stop the hear from entering her mouth. She smiled at the contestants, not even trying to hide her joy for the stupid game. "There will be two calls. Set and go." The boys and girls nodded from their spots. My stomach pulled tighter and tighter as each second ticked on. Jace. My heart sunk for him, but I thought he deserved what was to come. Did he not? He needed to feel exactly how I felt, and if that wasn't possible, he needed to feel worse. But as Katelyn called set and go, and the boys rapidly swam through the mud, my heart quickened and my throat became sore.

The boys were half way across the the rope when the I came back into focus. Behind me, a girl kneed me in the back. I spun around, ready to yell at the girl for even touching me.