Chapter 23: Winter Changes

IGNORE ALL ERRORS

Chapter 23: Winter Changes

When the world begins to sink, there is no where for me to drown. I am forced to stay awake and watch myself get left behind. I do not get what I want, and that is why I am required to live. 

- Winter Ozlin's Diary

Odd enough, I was welcomed into the school with massive smiles. While back when school started I would have hid my face and ran to my dorm, I stood high and embraced my rebooted status. Austin surprisingly stayed by my side ever since we arrived back to Brinston. He held my hand and escorted me to each class, careful to avoid hallways that were known to be walked by Jace. Austin said that if he was going to keep his word then he couldn't see Jace. Ever. But I knew that wasn't true and whenever he started to say "I promise," I quickly shushed him with a kiss. That always did the job. 

Marie was mad that I did not go back to the house to gather my bags and go back to school with Carl. I didn't want to see Carl, or Marie for that matter, so I had my bags shipped to the school to avoid any more fights. If I went back to the house, Marie would have lectured me about how I was harming myself and I needed help once again, because I knew Carl told her that I was cutting again. He always was quick to throw me under the bus. If he had a chance, I was sure he would literally throw me under one. 

Thankfully, though, Austin had brought me out of the darkness once again. Just like he had when I saw him back at school. Even though I was more frightened of him than ever, I knew that he could always help take away the pain. It didn't matter if I loved him or not. He loved me. He was my replacement medicine, since cutting and talking to Jace were out of the picture. 

"Is it true that you slept with Austin over break?" Katlyn asked me during English. Hearing her voice made me want to punch her, but I was trying to be nice again, and not in a loner way. Simply, I turned around smiled my devilish smile and shrugged. At that, Katlyn squealed and turned around to discuss with her friends. It was odd to hear her giggle and scream like that, since it was such a middle school behavior, but it made me smile more genuinely, because I knew that Jace was right. I did have everyone wrapped around my finger. 

"I can't believe he took you back," Taylor sneered during lunch. I was done with her, for good, so all I did was continue my walk to the cafeteria to sit with Austin and Winston and Penny and Najia. Taylor screamed a little from me ignoring her, but I smiled, and so did Austin when he saw me strutting to the table. Off near the windows, I noticed Jace staring with thin eyes and a tapping foot. Once I took my seat, he stood and left the room. Chills sprung to my body at his exit. Still, I felt guilty for everything I did to him, but also because I knew that if he haven't been so invested in me, then I wouldn't have permanent scars on me. 

"Winter, can I get you anything?" Austin asked, nibbling my ear and twirling my hair with his fingers. 

"I'm okay," I responded, giving my flashy smile. Austin did the same, placing a kiss on my cheek before heading over to the lunch line. 

Across from me, I noticed Winston roll his eyes and fiddle around with his french fries. Penny shrugged to Najia and adjusted herself in the seat. 

"What?" 

Penny looked at her two friends; both of them were avoiding eye contact. Penny sighed at her friends' attitudes and looked at me. Her purple glasses dangled. "When did this happen?"